Sign in to follow this  
michaelhillhouse

Using House Batteries Overnight

We are going to the Spring National dirt car races at TMS next weekend and the temp is supposed around 38 degrees.

I haven't dry camped before and am worried if my 99 Safari Zanzabar house batteries will carry the load overnight to run the furnace. Or should I just run the generator which is Propane and use the electric heaters that I have . The batteries are 4- 6 volt deep cycle and are fairly new with a full charge. Help :(

Regards,

Michael Hillhouse

Do you have an inverter/charger? If you do just run the furnace and if the batteries get to low the furnace will quit and then run the gen. If you have a inverter/charger just run to charge the batteries.

Hi Mike,

There should be no problem running on the batteries. One good test would be to let the coach set over night without the charger running an measure the voltage in the AM. This is done with out running any 12 volt items and will give you a baseline charge number. A good indicator of your battery(s) condition.

A voltage reading of 12.25 or better is good, and at that level they should run the furnace over night. The refrigerator, water pump, water heater and lights are an added load, but are not high current loads.

The furnace blower is the highest load.

In the AM start the generator and recharge for the next night. All should go well.

Rich.