Sign in to follow this  
chp007kd40

Adding A Portable A/C Unit

Our basement model 24,000 btu is not always adequate, especially when some engine heat radiates into the bedroom and it's over 90 degrees outside. I have a washer /dryer compartment I thought would work for the exhaust hose on a portable unit I saw on Amazon with 12,000 btu. I saw the article at irv2 where they put one on the roof, but I'm thinking I don't want the 95 pounds that high up.

Has anyone solved this problem a different and better way?

Think the dryer vent line is 4in and a AC vent line is 6in. The size reduction will restrict air flow.

So you may need to install a larger vent in the wall of the coach to achieve max. efficiency.

You might want to check with a RV service center regarding installation a wall vent.

Rich.

Have you verified that your coach A/C unit is functioning as it should (both compressors running) and that both condenser and evaporator coils are clean.

Basement A/C's are quite prone to clogging the condenser.

Brett

I agree with both Rich and Brett. A/C units need exhaust and they need to be serviced. I see by your post that you have one 24,000 BTU unit. Do you have one or two units. If you decide that another unit is required check at Lowes and Home Depot. I seem to remember they both had portable room units that only needed a window to vent through. I don't remember how it discharged the condensation. I do remember that they were up right units on rollers.

Keep cool, :)

Herman

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. All of you had some good input. Yes, Just one basement unit and it is only two years old and the old unit did have one compressor out and the unit was very dirty inside. What started the demise of the replaced unit was a (Pronghorn) Antelope slammed into our coach in Montana and of course a direct hit on the a/c unit, go figure. The unit actually worked until we got to Las Vegas and the temp. hit 103 at 2pm. The unit had to be made at the factory so we headed directly home as we hung-out over the dash a/c vents with two weenie dogs. The 4" gas dryer vent is a problem so thanks for that info.

chp007kd40, thanks for your reply!

We now know lower units can be damaged by large land animals, like you mentioned, but what are the odds is right.

An the roof top units are at the mercy of Ravens, Hawks, Reindeer, low limbs and bridges.

Thanks Rich.