Sign in to follow this  
gmoreno

Winter Storage on Grass

Hey Everyone:

I have plenty of room on my property to store my RV for winter (yea, I know it's spring now, but would like clarification for my unique circumstance). The problem is that it would be tucked away and resting on some grass. A friend of mine pointed out to me that if I do this, the grass below when wet or moist will act as a sponge and will rust out the bottom of the rig sooner when compared to storing the rig on concrete or ashpalt. He further suggested that I have the storage area packed with a fair amount of pea gravel to prevent or at least minimize premature underbody rust on the rug. So here are my questions:

1. Is he correct? Parking a rig on grass is a major no-no?

2. Pea gravel should be applied over the grass to stop/minimize moisture escape to the belly of the Rig?

3. Can I lay a very large tarp over the grass and park my rig on top if it? Will the tarp be just as effective as a psuedo-pad site?

4. I have a large cover for the rig so that pine needles and such don't drop on the rig. I have a 36' Class A.

5. I live just north of Boston. We typically winterize our rig from late fall to mid-April. Needless to say, our winters are cold and long, laden with snow.

Open to other advice and suggestions.

Thanks,

Rob

I think I would lay a moisture barrier down first, then spread gravel. I would jack up the axles and put blocks under them so the tires are not on the ground. Another alternative would be to move to Az and use you coach year round!!

Well I guess you took me literally when I asked for other ideas or suggestions when you mentioned we should move to AZ and use the coach year 'round!

Love that area, though mostly in the winter. Living in AZ can be mighty hot and muggy, especially in the Tucson-Phoenix area. Lived in Phoenix for a while, but prefer Sedona and Flaggstaff. I'm orginally from El Paso, so I now the S.W. area fairly well.

Thanks for the good chuckle!

Rob

Not sure what to do. My father gave me his 1973 GMC Motor home that was stored inside for 15+ years, but now has been sitting outside in the grass at my place for a couple years (it was driven here). I am a single woman and didn't know anything about this stuff.

Will I still be able to sell it, or junk it? It will need tires and the interior needs to be redone; and I think it needs one of the gas tanks (I think I was told it has two?). Also, now it hasn't even been started for a couple years ;o(.

Suggestions? I have a pic, but don't know how to put that on here since it is 988K.

I'd put something under the tires such as gravel then a treated 2' x 12'. The tires should not sit on grass or black top.