mjs4417

Motorhome Leasing vs. Buying ?

I'm curious why I'm not finding information on leasing (not renting) a new motorhome. We've successfully leased our personal vehicles over the years without problems. Posession for a certain period of time / months, mileage limits, set monthly due bill, return in good shape.It seems a logical thought to do this with the high ticket price of a motorcoach. I must be missing something!

Any comments and thoughts are welcome.

What about "fractional ownership" or "shared ownership with maybe 4 families" like corporations do for private jet use??

Or is this just one more thing that goes on the list of ...................."things I had when I was middle class!!"

I have never seen anything about leasing a MH. Perhaps that is because the lenders do not wish to do this with this type vehicle. Perhaps they believe without the larger down payment and without the larger payments, the risk is too high that these vehicles can disappear too easily. Not sure, but this does make sense.

Good point Brett, that also makes sense. You would need to buy these vehicles at huge discounts, more than are offered, to make this a tenable option. Most leased vehicles are new, and the first few years MHs depreciate huge amounts, much more than is recovered with lease payments. The lenders would probably have to only lease 4 or 5 year old vehicles or older to make this viable. Just take a look at short term renting of a MH, even less expensive MHs to see what the costs are.

I just made a calculation on a $300,000.00 Coach. You would need $60,000.00 down plus TT&L just to cover the minimal deprecation. And at least $3,000.00 per month and I am not sure that would be too good for either party. And how about mileage?

Also knowing the first year problems a lease would be in the shop for a good part of the first year. :o

Herman

I agree, leasing these type of vehicles just does not make sense from a lenders standpoint. Too much to loose early in the lease (years one to three)