Sign in to follow this  
gmoreno

Wiring for Landrover Toad

Hey everyone:

I have a 2003 Landrover Discovery that I intend to tow behind our 36’ Class A. My question pertains to wiring the rover for lights; meaning I will be taping the Landrover’s existing light system for brakes, turn signals, reverse (maybe?) hazards, etc. Basically, the usual stuff. OK. So here’s some background info for you about the quirks of the Landrover. My Motorhome is a flat 4 pin set-up.

1. Can’t use a battery slice or pull a fuse with the rover. Doing so will activate an “SRS” alarm in the Rover and could disable the vehicle permanently.

2. Rover has separate turn and stop lights (3 wire system)

3. Rover’s ignition needs to be in the “II” position when being towed and therefore, concerned about battery drain

4. Rover has a European pin set-up for towing

5. Concerned about backfeeding the Rover.

6. I have an extended warranty on the Rover and I need to be careful about splicing wires and such. If I do encounter an electrical problem with the rover and it can be proved that I have tampered with the wiring circuits, my extended warranty will not recover the cost of the repair and could be void altogether.

7. I’d like to avoid using magnetic lights if at all possible.

8. Don’t want to drill holes in the existing tail lights of the Rover to accommodate a separate bulb configuration.

Three links below to convert the Rover’s European trailer set-up to US Standard 4 pin set-up. I’ll also need a diode set-up, right? So, which
product is the correct product? I’m open for other set-ups as well.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9439C.cfm

http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Land+Rover/Discovery+II/2003/56146KIT.html?vehicleid=20031173873

http://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wiring/Roadmaster/RM-154.html

The site below is what I will use to attempt to keep the Rover’s battery charged.

http://www.lslproducts.net/ToadChargePage.html

OK Fellas, chime in and let me know your thoughts. One last quick note. I’m not at all savvy about setting up my Rover as a toad; meaning I don’t have much mechanical or electrical skill. I was hoping for a “plug n’ go” option and maybe take the Rover to a mechanic to connect everything and for any splicing of wires. And just as a reminder, I have an extended warranty on the Rover and don’t want to null and void the warranty if wire splicing is needed.

Thanks,

Rob

With all of the concerns about warranty I think I would use a trailer if you are really wanting to use that vehicle. I would think of a different toad that is more compatible for towing.

I see that you don't want to drill into the back of the tail lights to add a separate bulb, but that would be my (only) recommendation -- along with a full wiring connection that includes a ground back to the motorhome circuits.

I did not review the links that you offered, but every setup that I've looked at involving diodes grounds to the towed vehicle. That, in turn, requires maintaining a decent electrical ground connection back through the tow bar assembly to the MH. Given the grease, grime, road dirt, etc. to which the tow bar assembly is exposed I see that ground as a dubious connection.

Adding to my ground concern is the fact that diodes can fail in a short-circuit mode potentially backfeeding into the car's electrical system.

With those two concerns, the only light set-ups that I've put in my tow vehicles are completely independent of that vehicles electrical system with the exception of the extra bulb in the tail light housing.

gmoreno,

You can use your existing tail lights with no problem. You can go to Camping World or a store like CW and get a tail light wiring kit. The kit contains 4 diodes. Follow the directions and even if your battery is disconected you tail lights will still work.

Herman