Sign in to follow this  
QuiGonJohn

Roof Maintenance

First off, I wasn't sure where to post this, none of the technical categories seemed an exact match.

I have a 2006 Winnebago Aspect, which I have owned for a little over a year. I do not know what type of roof I have or how to tell, and I cannot tell from looking at the manuals I got with the RV.

Today I was on the roof and noticed a small area where there is a clear like finish that is flaking off. Kind of like skin after you get a sunburn.

Can anyone tell what type of roof I would have from that? Or, if someone knows what an '06 Winnebago Aspect would have?

Also, what should I do about this.

The roof seems fine, no holes or cracks. It almost looks like a thick coat of wax started peeling off or something, (I realize it probably is something else, but that is the look of it).

This is a link to a PDF file covering your model and year coach.

From the information listed you have a fiberglass roof, so what you see pealing off is a clear coat applied to protect and extend roof appearance.

One can clean and reapply the clear coat or have it professionally applied.

http://media.gowinnebago.com/models/globalElements/brochure/previous-models/2007/winnebago/07-Aspect-bro.pdf

Rich.

Looks like you have a one pice fiberglass roof. The clear coat is starting to peel from the sun.

You can clean it up and have it recoated or you can put a good coat of wax on the roof.

The real issue is the caulking around the edge. The firbeglass roof is held in place by a thin bead of caulk around the edge.

If your roof is showing signs of clear coat failure you should have the caulking checked.

The loss of the clear coat will allow the roof to degrade over time but if you lose the seal around the edge you can lose the entire roof in a heart beat.

I would take it to a Winnebago authorized service shop to have the inspection completed.

Thanks all. I've made an inquiry with a local RV tech to see if this is something he can handle. If so, I should be getting it done next week. If not, I will have to look further for some shop to do this.

I have had 2 RVs with fiberglass roofs. After a year of weathering, I clean the roof with plain detergent and rinse well. Then I apply Behr white roof coating. It protects the fiberglass and gives a less-slippery surface. Recoat after 2 years, then recoat as need be.

Rich,

The top sides of my coach are also peeling. It is the clear coat peeling and the sun here in AZ is very tough. I got a quote to repair the clear coat of $2000. They will have to at least 2/3rds of the top sides on both sides of the coach. This seems very expensive considering what has to be done. Can you tell my how you would go about repairing the clear coat?