Sign in to follow this  
killintime

No Electric Norcold, Trips Breaker

Hi all.

I am new to the forum looking for some advice.

I have a 95 Four Winds MH with a Norcold 462. Last year the unit lost the ability to cool on electric so I just used gas and it worked fine all last year on propane.

I just brought the RV out of storage and plugged in to shore power and it tripped the breaker. Found the circuit tripping the breaker is the refrigerator. Unplugged the fridge and I have 120volts to the coach now but I am thinking I had better figure out what might be the problem with the fridge.

Has anyone had this experience or have a suggestion where to begin?

Thanks in advance.

Good information on this forum. Nice site!

Killintime, Welcome to FMCA !

Do you have the owners manual for you refrigerator? Some manuals have more or less information depending on model and year.

With the frig tripping the circuit breaker, I would think the AC Heater unit is shorted out.

That being the case it might be time to replace the unit. It lasted around 18 years, not bad for this type refrigerator.

Rich

Thanks Rich.

Good idea on the manual. I will probably have to download one from Norcold if possible.

I did run another extension chord out and plugged it into the fridge and it also tripped the breaker, so it is in the unit. I am afraid you might be right about replacement. If the entire refrigerator should be replaced I would probably just order one online and install it myself or keep running this unit on gas for awhile. My propane is empty tonight so I will run downtown tomorrow and fill the propane up and see if she works okay on gas again.

Before concluding that you need a whole new refrigerator, troubleshoot the 120 VAC element and wiring. If the cooling unit is working (i.e. cools on propane) spending a few dollars on a new heating element which is easy to replace or fixing a nick in a wire would be a lot less expensive.

I have to agree with Brett. Any time you trip a breaker the moment you plug in the unit you have a direct short. Follow your lead back to the unit you may find a bare wire. Look for a burnt spot on metal where the wire may have come in contact.

Good luck.

Herman

Hi all.

Update on my fridge. It works well on propane. Opened things up and found a lot of corrosion in the flu. The ac heating element is 'seized' up inside the tube. I can't wiggle it. I looked at a new element online and it appears that it would drop into the tube but I am unsure how it should be secured. Or how to proceed to remove the rusted in old one. I realize I should clean the rust up as much as possible inside the flu to clean things up and help the system operate better and last. I am unsure how to proceed and am hoping someone might have some suggestions or cautions on how to proceed with replacing the ac element and cleaning the flu.

Sorry the pictures rotated, not sure why, or smart enough to figure out how to post them in the right perspective.

Thanks for your time!

Kevin

post-32633-0-67696600-1370197144_thumb.j

post-32633-0-57762700-1370197178_thumb.j