ronandsue74

Leaking Radiator

I have a 2005 Country Coach Inspire 330 #51264 with a Cat C-9 Engine.

My all aluminum radiator is starting to leak.

The company I have a warranty service agreement with will replace my radiator with a like kind and quality radiator.

They have proposed replacing it with an all aluminum radiator from Brice Thomas in Gadsden, AL.

I have read many posts on this and other forums that don't recommend replacing with another aluminum radiator.

My question is, are there quality aluminum radiators available that will stand up to the heat and vibrations in this type of application or is my only safe choice to go with a copper & steel radiator?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Ron Jacobs

2005 Inspire 330 #51264

Hi Ron, I need to look over some of my notes to see what I can find.

I do know that I grew up with Brass and Copper radiators and not to happy with the new ones.

Rich.

I am having a similar problem with my 2000 Country Coach Intrigue with ISC 8.3 Cummins (350hp) / side radiator with 82000mi.

The transmission cooler began to leak and when the shop removed the CAC and Trans Cooler (1 unit) and is mounted in front of the engine radiator. We found between the two was a mess of debris that was probably the cause of the trans cooler failure. The engine radiator was also full of debris and the core is rotting. I believe the debris was the cause of the trans cooler failure. Also, I don't see a way to clean out this area to prevent future problems after reconditioned.

Any advise as to cleaning the radiators and in between them in the future. Hopefully without disassembly?

Any help as to what this repair should cost, with reconditioned CAC, trans cooler reconditioned with new core and engine radiator reconditioned with new core?

Input / advice appreciated.

Cottrill630,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Are you in an area with salt on the road? That is the #1 cause of fins "rotting"/corrosion damage. If you are not the original owner, it may also be damage from a previous owner's operation in these conditions.

The only answer is to flush with lots of water after driving in these conditions. This will also help flush the debris from the cooling package (CAC, radiator and in your case transmission cooler).

I have only owned the coach for a year and only drove it once in salt, in January of this year going to Florida. I did thoroughly clean the coach and flush the radiator when we arrived there. The previous owner lived in Dallas Texas and kept it in an airplane hanger and used it in the summer months for vacation trips. So no real exposure to salt and it has no rust / corrosion underneath or anywhere else.

Flushing with water would clean the outside of the CAC but not the radiator or in between the two, which I think is the source of the real problem. There are many of these coaches still in use. I don't think I am the only one to have this problem.

Clean the CAC from the outside (shoot water with/without detergent compatible with your radiator material-- if aluminum, use Simple Green EXTREME).

Clean the radiator from the inside (ya, it is a dirty messy job to shoot from the inside outward-- be sure to wear clothes you really don't like).

Will this get everything between them-- most if it.

The only other option is to cut a window into the center between the CAC and radiator, clean and then make and install a "door". It has to be airtight so all air entering the CAC goes through the radiator as well.