Sign in to follow this  
Cathie

Step not Retracting or Extracting

We have an 08 HR Sceptor. The door step wouldn't come out but would go in. Then it wouldn't do either. I can 'hot wire' it and it will do both - which is what I'm having to do when we go anyplace now. I spoke with a tech at Monaco and he thought it was the module - purchased a new one - put it in - still nothing. There is a pin missing on the door and the electronic lock isn't working either. I have a new pin ordered. Was wondering if this pin could be causing the problem with the step? Any advice from anyone would be appreciated!

Charlie McFarland

Hi Cathie,

Welcome to FMCA! You should have gotten an owners manual with your coach.

The 2 primary suppliers of the electric steps are Kwikee and SCS.

When you hot wired them, the steps would go up and down. Check for power (12 volts) at the pins from the coach harness. No power, then check for a bad fuse ? got a feeling its something else, but check it so you know for sure!

You mentioned the it would not extend, but would retract then quit working.

Check to see if the magnet for the read switch is in place. It is located on the screen door in most cases. If its missing use and magnet (like a refrigerator magnet) and hold it close to the relay. If the steps open and close that is the issue and if the pin that is missing keeps the door magnet from lining up with the relay that would be the problem.

A link to the most common ones used

http://support.powergearus.com/techdocs/875.pdf

Rich.

Charlie,

Most likely it is the door switch. I have had the controller repaced then the door switch failed. Now it works fine

Duane L

2012 Diplomat 43DFT

It seems like if the automatic steps begin to malfunction, it becomes an ongoing problem. You fix one thing and then something else malfunctions. My solution was to wire in a spring return to center toggle switch. It is just another step up from hot wiring that you do anyway. It does not take long to get used to manual operation of the steps and to always verify steps in before you move. We now prefer manual operation. The toggle is in easy reach for the copilot.

Thank you all for your informative help! Rich, you hit it on the head w/the door, magnets, etc. We'd lost a pin that worked the electronic door lock and had ordered the complete set. After getting it, putting the pins in - everything works again!!

Thank you all!

Charlie