Sign in to follow this  
turtlemechanic

Camping On The Outer Banks

Looking to spend a couple days on Ocracoke in September.

I see three campgrounds, the state park and then twp that are in "town."

We would prefer one of the in-town ones for power and convenience (no toad.)

Both campgrounds seemed to have mixed reviews (drastic both ways and old dates).

We don't need a "resort," just a place to park our 35-foot bus and enjoy the beach and town.

Thanks.

Doug

They have a bath house.

:o she's a tricky little creature; the wifey is :lol:

she looked them over and ruled that one out...she didn't mention that....must actually be an AC thing

Doing some quick internet research, RV Park Reviews shows three RV parks with basic comments:

Beachcomber Campground

This is indicated to be a small basic RV park, accommodate up to 35 ft, a few sites with 50amp. The sites are crammed into a small area behind the only gas station on the island. There are not good interior roads. They do offer a dump station.

Ocracoke Campground, Cape Hatteras National Seashore

No water/electric, or hot showers, lots of sand spurs, nice beach. Closes at end of October. Nicely spaced asphalt sites though about 30 feet deep on 4 loops. Bathrooms were clean. Cold water showers in separate shacks ("shack" accurate description)

Teeter's Campground

Actually this campground is in someone's backyard. We would not stay here again except in case of emergency - The site was swampy with a grass cover, very unlevel and the electric hookup had no breaker. Access to the site from a public road. The sewer system consists of a network of above-ground pipes, all of which seem to run to the "permanent" residents.

Not many choices.

Jim & Nancy

38ft NewMar Mountain Aire

2013 Honda CRV

We were actually going to stay at one of the two.

The comment is that "your" review or one of the ones from online?

Thank you for the input, very slim pickings and no Walmart parking lot :lol:

Not concerned about the roads we have clearance.

Okay, we decide to 1 day on the island, parked the bus at the common parking near ferry and rented a golf cart to cruise island,

Teeters was someones backyard and very,very tight, beachcomber was full of seasonals and cars/trucks.

So state park "looked" like way to go.

Jim thank you for the heads up.

Sounds like you found a good solution. I hadn't thought of renting a golf cart to get around the island but they do have those at beach resort areas.

From those campground descriptions I'm not surprised that you couldn't find anyone who has stayed there! Property is so expensive in beach resorts that it is hard to make a campground pay enough to make it economically profitable. This is especially true for someone who has purchased the property recently, thus no new park on the island. The land in those old parks was purchased and paid for years ago at 1950's or 1960's prices so they can make do with them, getting enough money to keep them in operation.

Thanks for reporting back on your experience.

I would stay at one of the campgrounds on Hatteras (we stayed at Hatteras Sands RV park, simple, clean, great work camper running the place, no amenities, seems to be being "rebuilt" BUT it's 2 minutes from the ferry!!).

http://hatterassandscampground.com/content/contact.html

Like we said, it needs some work but it was a great time

Fresh sea food w/I walking distance from camp ground 58129 NC 12 Hwy, tell her the Turtle bus people said "hi"

2013-09-14121054_zpsbe53067a.jpg

close to the water!!!! no stinky low tide either!!!

2013-09-14164831_zps77208810.jpg

Hatteras KOA is another place to stay a little further up the island, very nice tho'.

Then go and spend the day at Ocracoke (rent golf carts, they are everywhere and speed limit is 20 in town and more golf carts on roads than cars) and go back to the Hatteras camping (free 20 min ferry).

There is another campground we checked out and I will post a crystal coast report this weekend).

We stayed at The Holiday-trav-l park on Emerald Isle, it was supposed to be a 1 night lay over on the way to Wilmington.

We met so many great couples and friends we stayed 5 nights

The campground folks were very friendly and nice, it was literally 75 feet to the beach, plenty of food and drink w/I walking distance

No shade, nice ocean breezes

here is a pic of the campground

1st night

2013-09-18070324_zps4febb6a1.jpg

we had to move to accommodate folks already reserved

2013-09-18071123_zps65b52363.jpg

2013-09-21070222_zps43d56f72.jpg

They had 3 very clean bath house, a big pool and a market for gas, food and wine

we will definitely be going back

Wi-Fi was great through the park, streaming video was not a problem

http://htpresort.com/