Sign in to follow this  
tzimmermn

Hydraulic Line Leak At Connection

Needing advice. I have a hydraulic line going to one the bedroom slides that leaks at a union when under pressure. It is on a 2007 Winnebago 40FD Tour. The line is part HWH hydraulic system that controls both slides and jacks. This line is operates small slide only. I don't know how common leaks are on these connections. I have tried tightening a little more but still leaks a little when slide is moved. I was planning on taking connection apart to inspect for cracks or damage and then assuming I do not find anything I was planning on applying some Loctite 545?, which I believe is designed for use in sealing hydraulic joints.

Don't know if this will solve problem or not. I am open to suggestions based on other peoples experiences who may have "been there and done that". My main question is what do I need to be aware of or what precautions do I need to take so I do not create an issue with slide operation.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Terry Zimmerman
Amarillo, TX

Hi Terry, Welcome to FMCA.

Being a small slide, there is only one hydraulic drive involved in most cases. So keeping the slide movement set so the slide moves in and out square with the coach side wall should not be a problem.

Think I would try to seal the leak, (if it is leaking around the threads) with some Teflon Tape first.

You most likely will loose some fluid, so check the level when you finish.

Rich.

First thing is to determine what kind of fitting it is. Yes, if pipe thread, clean it completely and use either Teflon tape or a sealant such as Rectorseal #5.

But, many other types of fittings do not use tape or sealant.

HWH would certainly be able to tell you and perhaps supply replacements.

http://www.hwhcorp.com/contactus3.html

Thanks brett and Rich for quick response. I failed to mention that the connection is a flare fitting. I was planning on using golf tees to temporarily restrict fluid loss to allow time to inspect flares for cracks/damage and allow time to clean surfaces and apply a compatible hydraulic line sealant to flare surface before remaking connection. Don't know if this will fix problem but will be last ditch attempt to resolve leak before resorting to replacement. I am mostly a DIY but have had Murphy visit me on occasion when I do things that push my experience and confidence limit. One of my biggest fears is getting air in system and causing problems with a possible imbalance in slide cylinders if air is not self purging from cylinder. I am assuming the systems have some capacity to effectively purge a small amount of air from cylinders, but without being able to see where these lines go it is hard to know all details of system configuration.

If this does not fix problem I will follow Brett's suggestion and call HWH for help. Removing line and replacing may be more than I want tackle if I cannot trace both ends of line.

I really appreciate both responses and this forum. I am truly amazed at the experience and technical expertise this forum brings to bear on problems.

That Murphy person and I are on a first name basis, He whispered Michael in my ear some 50 years ago. So quit often now I laugh and ask him out loud if he is having fun yet !!!

Should your slide have 2 rams, and there is some air in the system. You may need to extend the slide and bleed off the air by loosing the connection if the piston does not have a bleeder built into the cylinder. Should the travel of a single ram system be off(not extending or retracting the required distance)Cycling it a couple of times should clear if it is an issue.

Rich / D==k :)

When I need to replace a hydraulic hose, I don't go the Mfg. I go to a hydraulic shop and have them make one. I take the old one for them to match. A hose on my Brother in law's Big Foot Unit ruptured. They wanted close to $90.00 for the hose plus labor. I removed the hose took it to a shop and had one made for $25.00 and installed for him. Jack worked fine. Thought I am sad to say that my Brother in law passed away and my sister sold the coach.

Herman

Sorry to hear that Herman about your brother in law. Appreciate all the input. Hope I can get it sealed. Rich if you give Murphy a call, I will try to get this done before he knows what has happened and comes to visit me. (Grin)