djparrish

Great Lakes

Question

I am beginning to plan a trip to the Great Lakes area for the summer to beat the heat in Florida. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ontario and then west.

I have never been in these states (except for airports) Any advice on must sees or must stays would be greatly appreciated.

Don

6 answers to this question

Apparently, you are planning on visiting the CN side as well....

What's your time frame?

We're in northern WI ...

Have been along several of the Lake shore areas also but not all...

One pretty good source for info might be at http://www.lakesuperior.com.... I have their Lake Superior Travel Guide ...

WI Dells area is truly a commercial recreation area, Door County is very scenic, Sites in WI that are unique special sites would include House on the Rock in Spring Green, Kovac Planetarium in Monoco, WI... If you're passing thru our area, I could certainly offer you a place to pause and take in the sights around our area...

Could send me a PM.

As a resident and frequent traveler of the area, I could make a lot of recommendations, but this is a big place and there is a lot to see. It would help if you gave us some idea of what you would like. Is it scenery, hiking, museums, historic sites, tourist areas? There are plenty of all.

House on the Rock, is more hype than experience when we were last there, but Circus Museum in Barabo is worth the stop. Which lake is just another issue.

Matt

There is a lot to see in all of these areas, but if you are expecting really cool weather during July, August, September, you may be disappointed. Certainly may be less humidity than Florida, but our experience in Wisc, Minn, ND, SD was very hot. We didn't really cool off until Yellowstone. Walker, MN 100, Wisconsin Dell 101, Rapid City, SD 105. Not suggesting you don't go, but make sure your AC is working.

Scenery, museums are best. Hiking non-strenuous is fine. Anything is better than Florida in July and August. We are willing to spend 8 weeks in the region. Then we are considering sliding across to Glacier NP!!

I have lived in the Chicago land area my entire life and the 100 degree level does not happen often and it is always cooler near the lake. If you are doing Lake Michigan be sure to include Indiana Dunes National Lake Shore. In Michigan, be sure to see Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park, Traverse City (quaint), and Mackinaw Island (these are in northern Michigan). You may want to cross the bridge, if you are brave, and head into the UP. If you do, I hear Iron Mountain is nice.