jagmoor

San Antonio to Orange Beach, AL area Late Dec. 2013

Question

This is our first trip east of Texas and we are looking for suggestions and things to do, places to stay and any helpful recommendations. We have a 36' Class A and I understand that some parks only accept Class A MH's. Is that correct?

6 answers to this question

jagmoor,

Please tell us how many days you want to be on the road between SA and Orange Beach.

If you know when you will leave, that will also help. As an example, there is a weekly event in Eunice LA every Saturday night at the Liberty Theater.

Brett

There are very, very few RV parks around the Country that just such aggressive segregation and trust me, if they don't want anything other than class A visitors, it's not a campground you want to visit anyway! I own a class A and I will not stay at these parks either. Hopefully, you will not encounter any either.

How far do you like to drive each day? Do you have any special interests?

There are several places in the Gulf Shores, Orange Beach area that I would recommend. Bella Terra of Gulf Shores is very nice, Class A only resort. They have an excellent staff and have on site events. Heritage Motorcoach Resort is nice as well, class A only. I stay at Bella Terra as it is close to shopping, restaurants etc. Things to do, a visit to Ft. Morgan, Visit USS Alabama near Mobile, Foley's train museum. For a night out, Nolan's Restaurant in Gulf Shores has good food and live music 5 nights a week. Shipps Harbor Grill is also a great restaurant in the area. If you are into golf, the course at Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores has some good deals on golf. Probably the most reasonable grees fees in the area. Hope this helps out once you get to the Gulf Shores/Orange Beach area.

Thank you for the suggestions and comments. We usually drive 300 to 350 miles a day and plan on a period of no more than 2 1/2 days. I'll look at both Bella Terra and Heritage. We're not golfers but like to explore.

Hi Jagmoor,

I believe you're looking at almost 1400 miles round trip from San Antonio to Orange Beach. You may not have anytime to explore anything other than the windshield of your motorhome if you intend to make this round trip in 2 1/2 days. Maybe you mean 2 1/2 days to travel each way.

I assume you will travel I-10 through Houston...just make sure you're in Houston between 10 AM and 3 PM unless it Friday. Fridays window is more like 10-12.

I'm unaware of any Class A only resorts between SA and OB. Some parks may have age restrictions but I've never seen that strictly enforced.

Safe travels and enjoy.