Sign in to follow this  
jlandon13399

Blown Rod Seal

Set-up to camp at Picacho Paek RV park in AZ on Monday. Unit would not level. I have a Power Gear leveling system with three cylinders. On inspecting the cylinders I found oil coming out of the front leveling cylinder. Blown rod seal.

Since I could not build pressure on the rod side the cylinder would not retract. Had to crawl under the coach, remove three cylinder attachment bolts, loosen the fourth and move the cylinder horizontal to wire it up to the sub frame.

This was the only way we could get the motorhome to a dealer to fix the problem. The two rear cylinders seem to be OK at this time.

Should I consider a rod seal replacement in these also?

Has anyone else had the same problem I just experienced.

Looking for feedback.

Jack,

A lot of work to get the jack out, some have used a long bar and some blocks to leverage the ram / jack back up into the cylinder.

Best to take a close look at the chrome looking ram surface for any pitting or rust. this is not what one wants on them and depending on the damage, determines how long the seals will last; as a general rule!

When you get a min. look real close at the bottom edge of the cylinder and see if your power gear system is setup with grease fittings.

Should your cylinders have them, one needs to add just 2 pumps worth of Lithium Grease into the fittings. Power Gear mentions it in there owners manual. They recommend greasing them every 30 cycles. Said another way, after you level the coach 30 times.

Now, that is; under most environments more then is needed to keep the seal(s) in good condition and the Ram / Jack pad portion clean and in good shape.

Many owners use a spray on oil (WD-40 - is not an true oil- its more a penetrating oil like Kerosene) or a silicon lube to protect the surface, and wipe them clean from time to time.

Rich.

My same system front jack did the same thing as yours about the 6th of this month.

Had to loosen the line and jack and crowbar back up. I was told by emergency service it needs jack replacement.

I have a service plan that covers it except for $200 and shipping of part.

Sounds like you have same problem.

Thanks guys. I saw the zerk fitting and notified the dealer about it for the rear cylinders as well as the front. I guess there is a grease gun in my future. I did question Lazy Days whether or not they greased the cylinders before I purchased the rig. If not they may have some liability in this mess.