Sign in to follow this  
jp1walsh

Tire Pressure Monitor

What are the options to add a device that will monitor tire pressure.

My car has that feature but our 25 ft. MH does not.

I understand that there may be several ways to accomplish this but not sure what they are specifically.

Any advice would be appreciated.

John

There are a number of systems available and they also read temperature. You can also install transmitters on your toad even if it has factory transmitters, so you can monitor it from the motorhome. This spring Camping World will have the new Tire Minder system which will allow you to read just one of the vehicles at a time when you separate them.

I have a TST system and love it. Even if your car has one, you will not know if you have a flat if you are towing. The weight of the toad is so small compared to the rig by the time you know it damage is done. Also tires on a motorhome don't get flats they get blow outs. Once the presure is too low that the tire can't handle it .... bang! Get a system it is good piece of mind.

Dan

If you Google TPMS or Tire Pressure Monitor System you will find numerous systems. I would suggest you make your own comparison sheet and check each system.

Initial cost for system with enough sensors for your RV and toad.

Length of warranty.

Cost of ownership for 5 years and assume one change of batteries on all the sensors.

Be sure to note if the batteries can be changed by you or if you must replace the sensor when the battery goes dead.

Cost to install if the sensor mounts to the wheel (similar to the sensor on your car). If sensor just screws on your current valve this cost is $0

With a 35' MH I assume you have bolt in valve stems. For some owners of smaller RVs they might find they have rubber stems and it is recommended that these be replaced with metal stems.

I have 15 posts with the key word TPMS. I am sure some will answer other questions you might have.