Sign in to follow this  
fs23454

Smart Car Towing And Tailights

There seems to be several ways to connect your tow vehicle lights to your towed vehicle. I have what I need to do the job but, before I start I have a few questions for the Smart Car community.

I can shorten it into one question like, what is the best way and leave it at that but, I'm sure there is more than one.

I have a kit that included diodes which I know is a good way especially since back feeding the cars electrical system is not a good thing to do to electronics.

I can also just wire them straight on if I don't worry about the issue above.

And of course adding another light socket into the tail light housing is an option. However, I can't see where it would fit if I did it this way.

Then there are detachable tail lights. A good option but, I haven't found any that would work on a plastic car (all I found are magnetic) I would go this route if I could find a set of suction cup type lights that don't cost an arm and a leg and a few other parts.

The Smart car issue is more with the size of the wiring going to the existing lights. If the wiring were the standard 14AWG this post would not be here. However, the Smarts tail light wiring is on the 20/22AWG size which makes me uncomfortable about clipping and 14 to it.

Any advice out there on how you resolved this issue? I would prefer to tap into the existing system since it is a clean install but, I have questions.

Thanks

Fred

My Chevrolet Equinox also has the 20/22 gage wire. I soldered all connections and used shrink tubing to insulate and then wrapped all with plastic electrical tape to be sure. Diodes are the best way to avoid feedback and to not cut into the reflectors. Roadmaster has a power module maintain the voltage to the lights. Your wires from the towing vehicle connect to this module and a heavy 12 volt plus and ground. Probably, there are relays inside the module to turn on the lights.