astmi

Refrigerator

I have a problem with the icemaker on my Norcold fridge.

Water does not come to the icemaker. It seems to be an electrical problem. I bypassed the solenoid valve and it works: water goes through.

There is no power on the wires to the solenoid valve. There is AC on the plug-in into the freezer. I presume that these AC wires in the freezer provide AC power to the solenoid valve

Is there a sensor or some other device that would prevent AC to open the solenoid valve.

Temperature in the freezer is below 4 degrees.

astmi,

There is a switch that turns on the solenoid allowing water to flow, located in the ice maker assembly.

Should you have a meter, you can check to see if there is a short / very low resistance reading across the pins of the solenoid.

This is a link to a manual for trouble shooting the ice maker that might prove helpful and provide additional information on the ice maker circuit.

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/icemaker.pdf

Rich.

My Norcold has 2 plugs, one for the icemaker and another for the refrigerator heating element. They are plugged into separate outlets as they are fused separately.

Rich,

You say that there is a switch that turns on the solenoid. Do you mean the arm that goes up and down. If not which switch are you referring to and where is it.

I do not understand why I have power on the wires connecting to the ice maker in the freezer and no power on the wires connecting to the solenoid valve in the outside compartment. Would the be a fuse or some relay that would allow the current to pass or not?

I believe the switch is internal of the icemaker that comes on as the motor rotates the fingers to remove the ice. I try to recall how the icemaker works.

First the icemaker must get cold enough to trip a thermostat to run a motor and turn on the heating element to aid in the removal of the ice.

The motor turns a plastic gear that is attached to fingers to move the ice and cam to turn on a microswitch.

The microswitch supplies power to the water valve as the cycle nears the end as the heating element also warmed the thermostat to turn off.

There is a operational test you can do in the link Rich supplied will guide you to the fix.

I think an RV parts place would only get you a replacement icemaker but you can try an appliance parts store for parts.

This icemaker looks like a common one used for years in households refrigerators.

astmi,

The switch is located behind the cover at the back of the ice maker, the trick is to find a replacement for the micro switch if that is what has failed. The key is to keep the units mechanical timing correct !! So remove only what you need to; to test the Switch for proper operation, try to move the little button on the micro-switch with it still mounted to check the contacts. Might need an extra pair of hands.

There is a separate fuse for the heater element, wish I had some pictures to share of the unit. Something to put on my to do list when I need to remove mine!

This is what your water valve might look like:

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Norcold-618253-Refrigerator-Part-Icemaker-Water-Valve-with-Bracket-Trailer-Camper-RV

This is a link to some additional information, they supply the entire assembly, but also post some information that might be helpful, regardless of what you decide to do:

http://www.icemakerrepair.com/servlet/the-Norcold/Categories

Rich.