Sign in to follow this  
JOHNDONNA

Electrical

The inverter in our 2007 Monaco Camelot works only in less than half of the coach. We like to dry camped, our two other coaches had 120 sockets which ALL worked on the inverter.

This coach, which is new to us, has most of the 120 sockets that do NOT work with the inverter. Our whole bedroom is not on the inverter, the whole drivers side is not on the inverter. So when we turn off the generator the TV goes out in the bedroom while the front TV works with the inverter. I can sit at our dinette table with my computer plugged in, on the drivers side, when we turn off the generator, my 120 electrical socket turns off.

Has anyone fixed this issue? Why in the world would Monaco set up a coach with no inverter at all working in the bedroom or at the dinette?

Surely we are not the only couple who enjoys dry camping. We love full hookups most of the time but there are so many beautiful places to visit where electric is not available. Can we rewire this coach to allow the inverter to work in all sockets????

I would start by contacting Monaco to determine how the coach is/should be wired-- quite likely what you experience is normal for your coach-- no bad breaker or GFI tripped (I say that because everything works on generator and/or shore power). Very, very few coaches have all outlets wired through the inverter.

The "fix" could be very easy or quite complex depending on how the coach is wired. If the inverter output goes through a sub-panel that is located near the main 120 panel, the "fix" is as simple as moving the hots AND neutrals from the main panel to the inverter-powered sub panel.

John,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

Like Brett mentioned, check with Monaco, the only item I might suggest checking into is if your coach is equipped with 2 inverters and one might not be working.

By chance does your coach have and electric stove? if so and its working then both inverters are working and it is an issue between the breaker box and the outlets in question.

Rich.

Edit, I kind answered my one question regarding the potability of dual inverters. the sales brochure lists one 2000w inverter.

If you would like a copy of the Brochure try this link. It has some us full contact information.

http://www.monacocoach.com/StaticFiles/monaco/brochures/2007/07Camelot.pdf

I looked at the brochure that Rich mentioned, and the inverter that is listed in same, is only 2000 watts. 2000 watts divided by 120 volts = less than 17 amps. The sum total may be poorly distributed, but it is not capable of being spread over the entire coach without causing damage to the inverter and or the appliances that is designed to serve. You could consider adding another inverter to the system to power the other outlets. An electrician could easily add one, but there is another question of how much you want to spend.

There are several ways to do this, but you will probably have to add batteries, as the design is for the one inverter.

As Brett said, the solution could simple or complex, but good news, there are fixes for you.

Kay

Wow, thanks for the quick replies.

I have already checked with Monaco, they indicated the road side slide would not be wired to the inverter then added that I would find more plugs without power when I checked them. I was thinking that it might be possible to change the wiring a bit to gain a little more flexibility. Thanks for pointing out the dreaded MATH of electricity, if I had checked that earlier, it would have been easier to understand and explain why it works like it does!

John