F355197

Solar Panel Factory Wiring in a Monaco

My 2003 Monaco Executive was pre-wired for solar panels at the factory; however, the solar panels were never installed. My manual states that the wiring is located on the roof under the refrigerator vent and the other end of the wires are in the cabinet behind the bedroom TV. There are #6 wires on a terminal block under the refrigerator vent but there are no wires behind the bedroom TV. I have contacted Monaco technical support and they suggested I also check inside the refrigerator enclosure from outside and also under the refrigerator but I found nothing in either of those locations. I have searched the battery compartment and engine compartment for any unterminated wires without success.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where/how I mind find these wires? Is there a means by which one could put a signal on an open ended wire and trace it with a detector?

Jack, The #6 wire you found. Do you know that is one end of the wiring your looking for, if it is, then one can use a signal injector to put a tone on the wire and trace it. you might even get lucky and find the other end. It might not be even close to where it is supposed to be. In that case you might be way ahead of the game by running new wires.

Rich.

Thanks Rich.

I am sure the wires under the reefer vent are the wires intended for the solar panel. There are are a pair (red and black) that are connected to a terminal block to which one would connect the solar panels. I don't mind cutting into the headliner in the cabinet behind the bedroom TV (it's out of site and out of mind) but my thought is that if the wires were a little short, they may have decided that since the build list did not specify the installation of the panels, they just may have left them somewhere in the overhead short of the cabinet which was the intended destination.

I removed one of the small recessed lights outside of this cabinet to determine the construction of the ceiling. The upholstery material is glued to 1/2" plywood above which is 1"+ rigid foam with 1/8" ply (door skin) on top of it. If the wires were above that assembly, then it would, definitely, not be worth locating them. The appropriate plan of action would be to run new wires.

Are you aware of any specific type/brand of signal injector that could be used to locate wires.

We don't have the same coach or the same year but we do have a control box for our solar panel behind our bedroom TV. I found it when I replaced the analog TV with a flat screen HD TV years ago.

Wiring isn't directly to the battery but goes through the distribution panel that directs connections to the battery. Ours is located in the outside panel just behind the battery compartment.

As to the #6 wire, the solar panels are DC and that requires larger wiring than AC. Also, Jack mentioned solar panels (plural) which might explain a higher output than the one that we have.

Jack, there are a number of them.

Google signal tracers. There are so many and some are on the high side cost wise, so look over some of them to find something that you think would work for you, and other applications that it might work down the road; post your choices and I will review them for you.

Tom Butler posted some information on the location of the solar wiring that might be helpful also. As he mentioned the amount of solar power you are considering, might require an increase in the wire gauge.

Post you thoughts and the forum members will be willing to do some math if need !

Rich.

I am going to table this issue for now and will probably run new wires when I decide to install the solar panel(s). Thanks for all the input.