Sign in to follow this  
jimlavagent

Costs Of Repairing Timber Rot And Storage Bin Rust In Class C

I have a 2004 Gulfstream BT Cruiser and have a leak I detected after purchasing the unit. It appears to be coming from the awning attachment point on the side and has run down the inside of the wall to the storage compartment under the bedroom window.

When I bought the unit I first noticed dampness in the storage compartment then lifted the carpet to see some of the floor of the storage compartment rusted. I thought I had water coming in from the rear tires when it rained, so I sealed the compartment door better.

I recently noticed after a car wash that the wood next to the top of the compartment is black and just fell out after pulling on it. Upon further inspection I see the awning support for the bottom of the arm is not parallel to the wall but leaning in at the bottom.

I can now tell there is little support in the wall for the bottom awning arm holder. I see no signs of water in the bedroom and am wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem in a class c? I am not sure where the water is coming from but I don't think the storage compartments seal well. Your thoughts. Also what might it cost to fix something like this?

A new owner of a 10 year old Class C.

Jim

The most likely location for water leaks is roof seams. Windows would probably be second. Water will run down a lot easier than up so you have to expect something above the damage as the source of water damage. Water will also travel inside the framing. I had a leak in my '89 Jamboree that leaked on the driver seat. The water entry point was at the rear of the MH.

Welcome to the forum! Capillary action, I would look up. Blake wood is a sign of mold...not a DIY job! Take the unit to a Dealer, back where you bought it would be best, unless it was a non-dealer sale or Camping World.... <_<