Sign in to follow this  
robsa

Towing An Acura MDX 2006 AWD 4 Down-- Conflicting Info

Hello,

FMCA towing guide says this vehicle can be towed all 4 down, with restrictions. However before I trade in my 06 Acura RL, I called Acura to confirm this and their Factory Rep via telephone conversation said that the FACTORY says No.

Who is right or wrong here. Does anyone have experience with this make and model towed?

The factory rep said that the 05 is towable all 4 down.

Thanks in advance

What does the owners manual say? I would believe this over the person you talked to. Most of those people have no idea.

Yes, the owners manual is a good source, but several major auto manufacturers have declared vehicles not towable AFTER deeming them towable 4 wheels down. So, not a bad idea to do further research with a knowledgeable dealer service manager (who has access to manufacturer service bulletins) or the manufacturer themselves (though the "customer help" personnel at most auto manufacturers are NOT technically oriented.

Robsa,

I just went over the 2014 Guide to Dinghy Towing, that came with my latest issue of "Motor Home" magazine. There are no Acuras listed in their guide. So before you make the purchase, I would contact the factory and make sure that is should not be towed 4 down and if done so would void any warranty.

Herman

The FMCA towing guide for model year 2006 does list the MDX Acura as towable. No years after 2006. Again, when I called the Acura customer service line. They confirmed that it was not towable. I can continue my research. Thank you all for responding.

I tow a 2005 Acura MDX, when I purchased this vehicle (used) my research and several dealer service managers indicated that any Acura MDX or Honda Pilot newer than 2005 was not flat towable. I believe that the AWD system changed with the 2006 model years. In my recollection the dingy towing guide reflected the same information.

This is what I Pulled up in the FMCA 2006 towing guide? It is listed..

Acura

Transmission Drive Speed/Distance Approx. Curb

Model Auto Manual Configuration Limits (mph/mi.) Weight (lb.)

MDX■ N/A All-wheel drive 65/None 4,471