Sign in to follow this  
Lawman

Newbie First Purchase

My wife and I are considering the purchase of some type of small compact motor home because we have two small dogs that we like to take when we travel. I've never even owned a camper much less a motor home..I want something small that will sleep two and be self contained with minimum set up required..I need to be able to leave the a.c. on during day and night..We are only gone for 3 - 4 days at the time but it should have toilet, shower,and a.c...Where do I start?

Sounds like either a class B or C would fit your needs but I think you would be happier in a small C class. My suggestion would be to rent one for a long weekend or short trip....the cost would be worth it to help you decide that rving is for you...

Our neighbors have a class C diesel and travel with two dogs, they love it......I believe the RV is on a 1ton diesel Mercedes....they get good mileage with the 4 cylinder.

One thing to consider is weather. We camp year round in Arizona thus the requirement for a 4 season rig. If you plan to camp in very warm weather or cooler nights (40 degrees or less), you will want a unit that is well insulated. You list of amenities is personal preference, but a unit with good insulation will serve you well.

Depending on your pocket book, you may want to look at the "Ocean One" model sold by Advanced RV out of Willoughby, Ohio. It is probably the best type B currently being built today. With its premium battery set-up, you should be able to handle most any dry camping experience to keep your ac on during both the day and night. They are having an open house May 1 through 5 if you can make it.