pnight32363@gmail.com

Removing fuse #8 from Chevy Cobalt

Removing fuse #8 from Chevy Cobalt  

1. 1. Is there a simple way to remove fuse #8 from a 2009 Chevy Cobalt

We just had the base plate, etc., installed on our 2009 Chevy Cobalt so we can tow it four wheels down with the Roadmaster All-Terrain tow bar. The only modification this vehicle needs is the removal of Fuse #8 from the fuse panel on the passenger side of the console. The fuse is located to the far right of the panel and in the third position from the bottom. You almost need a "trained mouse" to get to this to remove or replace it. Does anyone have a easy way to do this?

We just had the base plate, etc installed on our 2009 Chevy Cobalt so we can tow it "four-down" with the Roadmaster All-Terrain tow bar. The only modification this vehicle needs is the removal of Fuse #8 from the fuse panel on the passenger side of the console. The fuse is located to the far right of the panel and in the third position from the bottom. You almost need a "trained mouse" to get to this to remove or replace it. Does anyone have a easy way to do this?

The wire "out" of the fuse could be wired through a simple toggle switch then back to the "downstream" side of the wire. May be more difficult than it sounds, depending on access to the wire coming out of the fuse block.

Another alternative that is not quite as clean is to replace the fuse with two metal prongs. From one side's prong, wire through remove fuse, then toggle switch, then back to other metal prong in the fuse block.

With either alternative, all you have to do to disable the fuse is "hit the switch".

Brett Wolfe

A company called Rock Lizard 4x4, 2344 Butler Avenue, Kingman, AZ 86409, 928-716-0738, rocklizard4x4@yahoo.com, produces a product called Tow Minder Fuse Replacement. It does everything that Wolfe10 describes, put it in place of the fuse and move the fuse to their circuitry then install the switch under your dashboard. Here's the catch. You don't indicate what the amperage of fuse #8 is. We have to remove 2 50A fuses and they do not have a product that will work with 50A fuses. I called them several times over a two year time frame and they said they were developing a product to do this but the last time I talked to them they said the trial product they had didn't work. I'm not sure where their development problem was. I'm supposed to be on their call list when they do get a working product for 50A fuses but haven't heard from them in a year and a half.

If you call, ask about the 50A fuse replacement also and either way, let us know what you find out.

Guest 2driftrs

Pat and Ron, I'm guessing that fuse 8 in your Cobalt is the "ignition sense" fuse, similar to my Pontiac G6. GM suggests removing this fuse to prevent battery drain. Our G6 has a US Gear Unified brake controller. This system has a live feed from the coach back to the toad, so we don't worry about battery drain and hence don't pull the fuse. If you have a 12 volt feed between the coach and the toad, you shouldn't have any problems.

If you don't have a 12 volt feed between the coach and the toad, I've seen in on of the RV store sites that someone makes a plug-in fuse/switch assembly. You pull the fuse and put this gizmo in its' place.

Hi;May not be much help but there is a little gadget has 2 connecters that you remove the fuse and just plug them in place of the fuse.THis has about 8" of wire and a normal fuse plug on it!Now the fuse just hangs out of the plate that covers the fuse box!Very easy to change now!Problem I don't know where he got it!At least it is out there and greatly simplifies the fuse removal bit.I would try electronics place or Auto parts store.Fellow that did it works lot on RVs so was from some of that work he had done!

Hi; May not be much help but there is a little gadget has 2 connectors that you remove the fuse and just plug them in place of the fuse. This has about 8" of wire and a normal fuse plug on it!Now the fuse just hangs out of the plate that covers the fuse box!Very easy to change now! Problem I don't know where he got it! At least it is out there and greatly simplifies the fuse removal bit. I would try electronics place or Auto parts store. Fellow that did it works lot on RVs so was from some of that work he had done!

See TBUTLER's post above in this thread.

Brett Wolfe

I have a 2008 HHR and I purchased a in-line fuse switch for fuse #2 it works great and is easy to use and install. Purchased on-line at RV-Partsplus.com under accessories. Would highly recommend this to anyone who has to pull a fuse to tow.

David Kelly

ret USN CPO