jbringneck

National RV Tropi-Cal CAT Fan Bearing Replacement

I have a 2004 National RV 37' Tropi-Cal with the 3126E CAT engine and 56,000 miles. I have read that the non-greaseable engine fan bearing is prone to failure anytime now and I would like to preemptively replace it.

I've been looking and scratching my head as to how best to tackle this project.

I am hoping to avoid removing the radiator and intercooler.

I have read that owners of other makes of coaches have cut access panels into the fan shroud and perhaps coach floor.

Do any Tropi-Cal owners have some advise?

Thanks!

John

John,

It really depends on the access you have to the fan hub from above (bedroom or closet).

It is quite likely that you can remove the fan, place it (probably wrapped up) in the fan shroud against the CAC and then remove the fan hub and bearing.

Be aware that both sealed and greasable bearing replacements are available.

Brett is right. I would look and see if you can get to the fan through the rear closet floor.

I would definitely replace with a greasable bearing.

Bill

Thanks guys. I do (with some contorting!) have access from above as the panel is positioned over the engine block with the fan itself being "tucked under". The problem that I have encountered is that the fan blades are very closely spaced and getting my hand in between them to reach the hub is a challenge! But, I CAN get my left hand in there (barely!), along with a box end wrench, but I only have enough space to use the fingers on my left hand to pull the wrench, and I just can't develop enough torque to free the bolts! Of course all of this is done by feel, not by sight! Suggestions?

If I should eventually get it apart, what other parts are necessary to switch over to the greaseable bearing?

I have maintained modern farm equipment my entire life so am not a novice at removal and repair at any level. Also humble enough to know that asking others for ideas is a smart thing to do - so input gladly accepted! :-)

Thanks!

John

John,

Your local Caterpillar dealer will have a breakdown of what you need.

Be sure to take your engine serial number-- that is his basis for going to the parts book. And, for your engine, it may be that only the non-greasable hub is shown. the greasable was for older engines, but is an exact fit.

Again, greasable that IS GREASED is best. Non-greasable/sealed next with greasable that is not greased the worst.

Thanks guys. I do (with some contorting!) have access from above as the panel is positioned over the engine block with the fan itself being "tucked under". The problem that I have encountered is that the fan blades are very closely spaced and getting my hand in between them to reach the hub is a challenge! But, I CAN get my left hand in there (barely!), along with a box end wrench, but I only have enough space to use the fingers on my left hand to pull the wrench, and I just can't develop enough torque to free the bolts! Of course all of this is done by feel, not by sight! Suggestions?

If I should eventually get it apart, what other parts are necessary to switch over to the greaseable bearing?

I have maintained modern farm equipment my entire life so am not a novice at removal and repair at any level. Also humble enough to know that asking others for ideas is a smart thing to do - so input gladly accepted! :-)

Thanks!

John

John I wouldn't take it apart till you have the new parts. You may be in for a trip to find a better wrench. Don't you love these opportunities to buy new tools. I would say try finding a Cat shop and ask one of their mechanics what setup they use. I bet they say just pull the radiator and cac. Good luck

Bill