Sign in to follow this  
manholt

Front End Shimmy

I have a Spartan chassis with front independent suspension, it's an AMC Tradition, 45Y, 2010.

I'm currently at Cummins, Houston, TX waiting on a "fit me in slot". I was on I-10 heading west at 65mph and all of a sudden it felt as if I had a blow out on left front tire.

Got off the freeway and checked on tires, no problem, same with visual underneath.

Started driving and it sounded like I had picked up something and it was slapping the road. Also, at 40mph the front started to waddle

like a duck, but at 35-38 it stopped.

Out off several phone calls, Cummins was the only ones that would see me...every chassis truck/RV shop in Houston is on the East side

of town...took me 3 hours to cover 56 miles by service roads!

My biggest concern, was to loose my wheel.

Manholt.

Sorry for your problem. There can be several things to cause your shimmy. You could have lost weights on your wheel and the tire is way out of balance. Your drag link may be bad. A tie rod end may have become loose. You may have a bulge on one of your front tires. (next thing to a blow out). You may also have a tread separation on one of your front tires.

Good luck, glad you are close to home.

Herman

Not a tire problem...been checked. Called Spartan and your right, it could be a variety of causes, they lean towards the air ride height as being off on tag axle.

Just 1 inch is enough to cause an imbalance to the drive shaft and give a wash board effect. They did say that I was in the right shop to fix the problem (Houston Cummins).

Can't go home...no beds. 6 family members flew in from Norway with me last week, 3 month stay....I'm on my way to NW for 4 months...LOL.

Problem fixed and it should be under tires. I had TYRON installed on my 2 front tires, the one on driver side came apart and was sliding around inside tire.

That's what caused the noise and shimmy....it cut the inside wall enough that I had to replace the tire. 1 tire, tax and mounting $ 1,160!

Not using TYRON anymore, it lasted 7,397 miles.