Sign in to follow this  
waynemaier@ca.rr.com

Bedroom slideout won't extend

I have a 2002 National RV Dolphin 5342 Class A 2 slides with a Workhorse chassis. The bedroom slideout won't extend.

I used the manuel override by unplugging the wiring harness from the 12VDS distribution panel and releasing the brake lever on the motor, and then extended it by hand with a wrench. I am able to retract the unit using the control panel switch.

I reversed the Bed/Main switch to see if the switch was bad. The problem didn't go away. I examined all the wiring at the motor and didn't see anything obvious. There are only two wires going into the motor red/black. You can feel the relays on the distribution panel click when the switch is activated at the control panel. I have a motor with p/n 130-1146. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Did you check your batteries? If my house batteries are low, even if I am plugged into shore power, my bedroom will either hesitate or not move. If I kick on the engine it works just fine. The reason for this phenomena is beyond my expertize. Just a suggestion.

According to the control panel house batteries were fully charged. Even after extending the slide out a short distance manually the slide still wouldn't move but it would retract. You'd think if it can retract it would have enough juice to extend. I'll take all the suggestions I can get. Thanks for making one.

So the problem is that your slide out motor will run in one direction but not in the other. There could be a problem with the switch or relay even if you hear it clicking. It could be a bad or broken contact or a loose wire. One way to test this would be to reverse the wires on the motor as this is basically what the relay does when you switch from out to in. If the motor runs out when you reverse the wires (set the switch on in because we know the in switch/relay is working) then the switch or relay would be at fault.

If you can't get the motor to reverse to the out direction with the above, then it indicates some kind of problem with the motor. You could then take it to a shop or get a replacement.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll reverse the red / black wire at the motor and follow your trouble shooting tips. I park my rig 3 hours from my house and won't be back to see it for 2 weeks. I'll let you know what happens. If I have to replace the motor I found one on line for around $120.00. If it's a relay problem I'll have to find a board since they are sodered in place. I guess I could break out my old sodering gun and just replace the relays if I can find the parts. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Many thanks!

So the problem is that your slide out motor will run in one direction but not in the other. There could be a problem with the switch or relay even if you hear it clicking. It could be a bad or broken contact or a loose wire. One way to test this would be to reverse the wires on the motor as this is basically what the relay does when you switch from out to in. If the motor runs out when you reverse the wires (set the switch on in because we know the in switch/relay is working) then the switch or relay would be at fault.

If you can't get the motor to reverse to the out direction with the above, then it indicates some kind of problem with the motor. You could then take it to a shop or get a replacement.

Before you reverse the wires switch relays from one slide that works with the relay on the one way slide. it might be as simple as a bad relay.

I have had bad relays on my coach before.

Herman

02 Dynasty

I'd love to but they are sodered to the ckt board. Thanks for the suggestion and helpful tip.

After rethinking your suggestion I probably can accomplish the same by swapping the bed connector to the main since they are next to each other on the ckt board. This would be the same as physically moving them.

Finally got a chance to reverse the wiring at the motor. Motor works in both directions per your instructions. I called RV Custom Products the original ckt board company and purchased both the slide and BBC boards. The spares will give me peace of mind since companies go out of business a lot these days. On my next trip to the MH I'll replace the slide ckt board. I noticed on the new board the relays are not sodered and can be removed. To bad the original board didn't allow for easy removal. If it fixes my problem I'll purchase another slide ckt board to keep as a spare.

WORTHLESS INFO FROM SEAJAY THE SAILOR MAN

One. When you move the slides by hand you have to release the break lever on the end of the drive motor to do so. ALWAYS REMEMBER TO RE ENGAGE THIS LEVER AFTER YOU ROLL THE ROOM BACK INTO THE COACH. If you do not it is possible for this room to ''run out'' if you round a sharp curve in the road. NOT GOOD.......

My slides work on a ''rack and pinion'' method and I assume yours are the same. Once I broke the roll pen that goes thru the pinion that moves the rack that extends the room..... It broke when we moved the room IN. We didnt know it was broken but we noticed the bed room slide didnt come all the way in as usual. We disregarded this until we hit the road and went around a sharp curve and noticed that the bedroom slide was now out about 4 inches. OOOOOOPS

with some swearing and a lot of pushing I got it back inside the coach where it should be and I got luckey and found a 2x4 and sawed it off to fit the crack and hold the bedroom in till i got home and fixed the gear .... I now carry two boards the proper length to hold the rooms in if necessary.

If you use this information you will owe me ten cents and you have to pay me the next time you see me ........... on the other hand if you use this information and it does not work for you ...... I NEVER KNEW YOU ........

Seajay the sailor man.....

GOD BLESS THIS GREAT NATION ...................

ps ......... the idea of checking your house batteries is a good one. they are the ones that lower your jacks and run you rooms in and out and if they arent in good shape and fully charged......... nothing works like it should .......

Problem resolved by replacing the relay circuit board. Before replacing I did switch the connectors on the existing Main and Bed circuit board. The Bed slide did extend and retract with Main connector plugged into the Bed connector. The existing wiring harness had very little play even after removing the plactic tie wraps in order to install the new board. The replacement board layout was slightly different then the original and I needed the slack to reconnect the plugs. Got the job done.

Problem resolved by replacing the relay circuit board. Before replacing I did switch the connectors on the existing Main and Bed circuit board. The Bed slide did extend and retract with Main connector plugged into the Bed connector. The existing wiring harness had very little play even after removing the plactic tie wraps in order to install the new board. The replacement board layout was slightly different then the original and I needed the slack to reconnect the plugs. Got the job done.

Thanks for letting us know how the problem was resolved. Now we have a solution that may work work someone else.

In My '08 FW Providence (DP), the placard, right next to the slide in/out switches, it states: "engine must be running to move the slide-outs in AND out"

I have a 2002 National RV Dolphin 5342 Class A 2 slides with a Workhorse chassis. The bedroom slideout won't extend.

I used the manuel override by unplugging the wiring harness from the 12VDS distribution panel and releasing the brake lever on the motor, and then extended it by hand with a wrench. I am able to retract the unit using the control panel switch.

I reversed the Bed/Main switch to see if the switch was bad. The problem didn't go away. I examined all the wiring at the motor and didn't see anything obvious. There are only two wires going into the motor red/black. You can feel the relays on the distribution panel click when the switch is activated at the control panel. I have a motor with p/n 130-1146. Has anyone had a similar problem?

I had a problem with my 2005 Sea Breeze rear slide last summer. It extended while driving on I-95. The slide would not retract and I had to physicaly push the slide back in and brace it from the inside with squeege handles. The problem was a broken shear pin in the motor assembly. The repairman indicated the pin was hollow and prone to breaking. He replaced the pin and solved the problem.

rc221@aol.com