Sign in to follow this  
promaster60

2001 Fleetwood Discovery Alternator

I just purchased a 2001 Discovery motorhome with a 5.9 300 hp Cummins diesel. The alternator has been messed with, 2 wires have been disconnected and cut and 2 wires are hook up now and its not working.

Trying to find out what alternator it had on it when it was new and was it a 4 wire hook up? How many amps-- 160?

I soldered up many cut wires and disconnected wires, ground wires removed-- its been a nightmare but almost done/

And what are the two rocker switches under the steering wheel for?

Thanks for the help.

Have the alternator tested for output to see if it is working and how many amps it puts out. On my 98 ISB it had a 160 Delco alternator which I burned up twice using 6 golf cart batteries so I went to the next size larger frame and had it built to 235 amp and its been working fine for 12 years.

promaster60,

Welcome to the FMCA forum!

Could you post a picture of your alternator for the group?

Your alternator current rating is most likely 160 amps.

There are a number of mounts used and the way they are wired, a picture would help. The other option would be to call Freightliner with your coach VIN number, only the last 6 numbers are needed, something like C12345.

Get the part number and post it.

Then the wiring connections are easier to figure out.

Look at this link to see pictures of a very common alternator stile used on the Fleetwood Coaches.

http://community.fmca.com/gallery/album/265-alternator-problems/

The last 4 pictures are of a 160 and 200 amp Delco alternator. That uses the J-180 mount.

Rich.