larrybla

KVH Trac Vision LF/SF

I have a KVH TracVision LF/SF 2004 satellite and have not been able to get it to lock on to the satellite. It has been working just fine and then bam it quit. I talked to a service guy and he told me that the company was out of business and he couldn't fix it or find parts for it. I go on line and see their web site is still active, however, they do not identify this particular unit and model. Has anyone had similar problems and if so have they been able to find a tech to fix it? Is it something like just needing reprogrammed like one fellow told me or more serious than that. Thanks for any help.

The company is NOT out of business (as you have discovered). You will want to call KVH to get the correct information about what can or cannot be done with an antenna that old.

We had a KVH TracVision SL on our motorhome when we purchased it new in November 2003. We were experiencing problems with it and replaced it with another KVH (used) in 2008 and when that failed we got a KVH in 2010 because it was cheaper to buy a new model on Amazon than it was to ship the old one back and pay for analysis and repair. That will be our last one... When this one fails, we'll go to one of the newer type without the dome. Just a personal choice, the dome looks nice but isn't that functional. We can get things analyzed in the field but for big repairs it is pull-it-off and ship-it-back to the factory! Add their charge for repair to the shipping and it makes it economically unfeasible to repair the unit. You can go to a local dealer and get them to query and analyze the on-board computer. We had this done on the original model and it was fixed but eventually gave out and became unusable.