Sign in to follow this  
blackoak

Towing 2013/14 Ford Edge

We are waiting delivery of a 2014 Ford Edge. We plan to tow 4 wheels down. In the current "MotorHome" magazine is an article describing issues with the battery going dead and towed miles showing on the odometer. They list fixes for these issues. They suggest using the Toad-Charger by LSL Products for the battery and installing a constant-duty relay to stop the mileage on the odometer.

Is anyone towing a 13/14 Edge and have you encountered these problems?

Jeff & Gayle O'Donnell

08 Presidio

I basically have the same vehicle but it says Lincoln MKX.

I have towed it since July following the instructions in the manual. You can look up the manual on line for the Edge.

Basically run it for 5 minutes prior to towing and when stoping for fuel (That's the part that is hard to understand since we all stop for fuel at different times.) Shift into drive, the reverse then neutral. I have the keyless entry and in my case I put it in accessory mode with ac, radio, and I personally turn off the display. According to the manual the system shuts off after 10 minutes so i don't know why they want it in accesories position but I do it.

I have never had a problem with the battery not maintaining a charge, and I have never had the odometer increase in miliage.

For what it is worth. I also suppose that there could be a vast wiring diffenence between the two vehicles.

Here is a link for the 2013 Ford Edge manual. It is exactly the same sequence for recreational towing as the 2013 Lincoln MKX.

Jeff I towed a 11 Edge for a while and just used a couple 15 or 20 amp (crs) auto reset circuit breaker on the coach chassis battery and toad battery battery # 10 wire ( all I had handy was #12 wire and it was plenty to keep toad charged) I never had a problem again and the fix cost about $20,

I tow a 2013 Ford Edge and had the problem with battery going dead (seems to be worse when towing at night using lights). I did attach a "charge wire" from the positive side of my RV battery to the positive side of the Edge (I put a 20 amp fuse in line). However that did not seem to resolve my problem.

gmaples,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

You should have a 20 amp fuse at both toad and at coach battery. That setup should easily keep the toad battery charged. Assume (please verify) that you do have a ground circuit from toad to RV.

Last check is to disconnect that charge wire at the toad battery and check voltage. Should be very close to what you read at the coach battery from which you are taking power.

gmaples,,

What set up do you have for your lights? As Brett said if your charge line is properly wired you should not have this situation. Do you have a good ground between the toad and the coach? If not run a ground wire with the hot from the coach to the toad. That being said if you have the toad key in the on position and have auto lights they will come on at dusk and then your lights will defiantly discharge your battery.

Herman