Sign in to follow this  
cmarq

Workhorse Disc Brake Caliper Seizes

I have a 2003 Pace Arrow 37A on a Workhorse W22 chassis 15,000 miles, The calipers were replaced in Nov. 2010 under the recall by a Workhorse dealer.

Last year Sept 2013 the right rear overheated and took out the ABS sensor and caliper. The dealer who did the work wouldn't give me any help. I worked for Cummins in CT for 40 years and am familiar with heavy duty brakes, I replaced the caliper with a NAPA new one myself. After installing operation was checked before the wheel was put on with no problems. On Monday July 7 2014 the right rear overheated again.

I am looking for answers, has anyone else had this problem? I know AMP has purchased Workhorse from Navistar but I can't find contact info, I looking for answers, I don't want to get into a guessing game. I canceled a upcoming trip until I can be sure I have corrected it. The Workhorse dealer won't give any advice just "Bring it in and we will look at it."

Napa says the caliper I bought meets the Workhorse recall specs.

Thanks

cmarq, Just a thought. Since you have experienced several over heating problems have you flushed your brake system completely? I know it seems to be with just one brake but there may be some contaminants still in that one line. A complete system flush may help. Sorry , just a guess.

Herman

cmarq,

Herman has a good point. ABS systems need the proper equipment to flush the Break systems completely, this gets all the air out of the ABS loop.

Thinking you might have a bad flex line(hose) between the Caliper and the steel break line ? If the Caliper pins are free.

Any indication of issues regarding the Left Rear Caliper? Equalizer Block brake line feeds both rear calipers.

Only time the ABS comes into play is when the wheel sensor indicates a wheel is not turning.

Rust can build up on the caliper, that moves the pickup coils for the ABS away from the sender in the bearings, giving the system a weak signal. That can activate the system even when everything else is fine.

The ABS valve body controlling the right Rear?

Fedex and UPS Step vans are often on W20 / W22 workhorse chassis. They really use the brakes hard.

Do you know who services them in your area?

Rich.

Rich answer is good about the flex line between the caliper and steel line as the plastic inner lining can melt causing restriction. I wouldn't replace the caliper without new line.

Thanks for the input, the dealer was supposed to flush the system for me when the recall was done I paid for it but who knows. I will do it myself and change the flexible line. The left side and front calipers show no sign of overheating. The ABS system is fine the overheat takes out the sensor.

Had a good friend that had, I think about the same system you have on a 01 Monaco Knight that has had the same problem that you have and couple yrs ago he told me he had finally solved his problem what he said is the old piston material would adsorb moisture when it is inactive for long periods and the first time you brake hard it will stick holding the brake pads to the brake rotors. He said that the company that made his system ( I think Bosh??) came out with a replacement piston and he rebuilt all of his brakes after that never heard of another problem. He had been fighting this problem since 01 even went so far as to install a home built temp sensor close to the brakes so he could bleed them if it got stuck, I think everyone is right about replacing the fluid on a regular basis until you see if new material pistons are available.

Walt