Sign in to follow this  
JohnJill

Generator Will Not Start

Yes I have a friend that has a 7500 onan diesel generator model hdkaj that is not getting any 12 volts to switches. Check the fuses F1 F2 F3 all look to be good. Took out the F1 and F2 at the same time and put back the F2 it started on its on without touching the switch, but was able to turn it off with the rocker switch on the generator itself. It has me stumped is it a switch problem or fuse board that is out?

John

John,

One would think the switch was or is the problem.

The fact that the generator started when the fuse 2 was reinstalled, sure sounds like the switch was closed in the start position ; but oxidized contacts could have been masking the problem.

Could you post the condition of fuse 2 contacts and the condition of the fuse holder contacts ?

Rich.

That is not real likely John, and to be honest I did forget there are 2 switches involved.

So when it started where did you shut down the generator when you stopped it ? My thought is that is the most likely switch with an issue. Because it started operating normally after that>

You did not mention how old the unit is, but the outside switch on the generators is out in the elements.

If you have a meter with an Ohms scale. Set it at the lowest setting, with one of them disconnected; measure the resistance across the switch start terminals and between the start side wire that you removed and the common center connection of the switch location you are working at.

If there is a difference it the reading(reverse the meter wires connection the center wire to the switch and the one that is removed. Reading change would indicate the presents of a diode in the circuit.

Post your readings for the group.

Rich.

We are fixed, but not sure what the problem was. Replaced all three fuses and now working.

Thanks for your help, again.

John

John, working is always good. Should the problem come up again and removing then reinstalling fuse 2 allows you to start the unit.

I have a feeling there is a diode in the start circuit that has failed.

Rich.

Clue: Replaced all fuses and now it works. I'm assuming you replaced the fuses with new fuses but if thats not the case disregard this post.

You indicated the "fuses looked good". I've seen fuses that looked good but a meter indicated otherwise.