washtech

Colorado Highway 160 Information

Question

Considering a trip to Durango, CO. Does anyone have any "experience" with road conditions traveling on hwy 160 "west" of I-25 toward Durango? How about a good RV park in that area?

Thanks Muchly,

Washtech

3 answers to this question

washtech,

160 from Walsenburg on I-25 will take you through some beautiful country. Alamosa, South Fork, Wolf Creek Pass (10,850 feet) with a tunnel, on into Pagosa Springs and into Durango. On our last trip through Alamosa we had breakfast at a strange but very good place. It was the coffee shop of a motel, sorry I can't remember the name. Wolf Creek Pass is a good road but very steep with several sharp curves. Just have the DW take pictures so you can see what you missed by keeping an eye on the road. In Pagosa Springs there is a wonderful park, Wolfe Creek Run. It may seem a bit pricey, $50.00 per nite, but it is well worth it. There are only 27 spaces, all concrete roads and pads. Each is owned by RVers and the Resort rents them out when the owner is not there. We stayed 3 nights just before Labor Day three years ago. When we checked in they said to come to their Hi and Howdy time. We figured it was their Happy Hour. It was and a lot more. They had sandwiches, chips and dips and a great group of folks. They also had a continental breakfast and we thought, sweet roll and coffee. No they had home made biscuits and gravy, home made cinnamon rolls and cakes.

If you go to the hot springs take a bathing suit and towels that you wont want to keep. The hot sulfur will not wash out.

While you are in the vicinity don't pass up Pueblo. There is a monument for 5 Medal of Honor recipients there, the most of any town in the USA.

Go and enjoy the great area.

Herman

Thanks a lot Herman, it sounds exactly like what we're looking for. I'd rather travel "back roads" at "slower" speeds whenever i can and seeing the "real" America rather than the "anywhere USA" on interstates is what it's all about.

I'll keep the speed down, low gear & engine brake on during those long steep down hill grades! We'll also check out those places to stay and eat as well.

After Durango we're headed to Santa Fe for a few days and then on down to the International Balloon Fiesta and will head back to NC via the southern route around the middle of OCT.

Thanks again for the info and travel safe.

Washtech aka Jackster

Re: US160. La Veta Pass west of Walsenburg is a hard pull but not to worry on the downgrade. It is rather easy because you drop from 9413 ft to the San Luis valley with an average elevation in the mid 7s. There is a little town 5 miles west of Ft. Garland named Blanca. It used to be and probably still is a speed trap. Olathe Sweet Corn will be available at City Market in Alamosa through most of August. Best sweet corn in the world, but don't over cook it . 2mins after return to boil at the most. Walmart Super Center a little further west of Alamosa. Wolf Creek Pass is legendary and beautiful. Take Heman's advice. Be careful. I am when descending that one, but I still have to take a glance at the beauty.

If the park in Pagosa Springs that Herman mentioned is open in October, we are going to try for that one on our trip back east. We will probably leave Durango around the tenth or so of October.

Durango is a really cool town. Francisco's for mexican is always on our list. It just a short walk from the train station. Save some tummy room for a sopapilla. It is what I would call a Mexican pastry that is served with a side of honey.