Sign in to follow this  
dickandlois

More Info On Bio-mixed Diesel

Just, some more information on how Bio Diesel effects the fuel delivery systems.

This effect will also impact ALL diesel fuel lines currently being used, regardless of model year.

The alcohol used to "dry" the biodiesel is the culprit. It eats the volatile oils (compounds that make it flexible) out of flexible components and creates microscopic air holes that allow air infiltration that will quickly result in the erosion of the pressure side of the pump on VP44 pumps used on the 5.9 due to cavitation, and will destroy the delivery valve in the CAPS injection pumps used on the 8.3 from a combination of cavitation and lack of adequate fuel lubrication.

The irony is that purer, 100% Bio-Diesel made with the proper process would be better then the current ULSD fuels, because it would offer better lubrication.

Rich.

Do you know what effect it will have on the 3176 Cat? There are a lot of them out there in the older DPs.

ObedB, I do not have any information on the Cat engines specifically. The thing is the loss of the lubricity of the ULSD and the effect of the alcohol used in the process of drying the Bio fuel that is still in the fuel when pumped into the tank, will also dry out the fuel lines; causing micro holes that starve the injector pumps of fuel. Causing cavitation and higher operating temperatures. That can lead to pump failure.

If your unit is out of warranty, then you might want to look at using something like this.

http://www.stanadyne.com/view.php?id=75

Not a perfect solution, but it should reduce the effects some.

Rich.

I know that you want to jump to another task that will take up your time, but before you go, is the alcohol the only culprit or is biodiesel the cause of the solvent action I referred to?

Fuel filters clogging quickly is something that I have read.

Water in the mfg. process is another.

I remember LSD entering the market in the 90's and truck engines shutting off in cold weather including the one I was driving at the time. That was 500 ppm sulfur and truck owners as well as fuel suppliers reacted after the first few rounds of trouble. They were not prepared. Then when ULSD hit the market during that first cold winter the same thing happened, but fuel suppliers and truckers corrected more quickly. I had to treat my fuel tanks with an additive called Howes. It worked, but as an owner operator, I had to absorb the cost or find another line of work. Biodiesel was not around here at the time. Pennsylvania still mandates only 5%. Low compared to many others, but I didn't buy our DP to just ride around PA. I have used Power Service products some over the years, but I will now become a loyal user. I had done just enough research to pretty make up my mind that there product was going into my tank, but your post seals it. Thanks!!!

ObedB, Got a quick connection, Alcohol is the real item. Not only the fact that it attacks the fuel lines, it also combines with water. As one friend described it ! Think of moving a marble down a confined space. When they are under high pressure, they become very abrasive and cut away material inside the injector pump and at the injectors. Like high pressure water cutting stone !

Adding lubricity to the fuel, reduces this effect, but there is a limit and the marbles will win !!!

Rich.

We should all be grateful that you raised the subject and obviously did some research. Thank you. The trip that we are about to take will be my first outside our 5% bio state. Finally get a DP and I find myself thinking about all of the nice used gassers that were available.

I bought three of the big bottles of Power Service at Walmart yesterday. Treats 250 gallons per bottle, and at that price it adds just over 7 cents per gallon ( before local sales taxes ) to fuel cost. Rich also posted a link to Stanadyne that has a formula to handle the alcohol in biodiesel. Don't know that cost yet.

Hmm! Biodiesel is dumping food into our tanks and the alcohol used for drying it is probably dumping more food into the process because it is likely made from corn?

We should all be grateful that you raised the subject and obviously did some research. Thank you. The trip that we are about to take will be my first outside our 5% bio state. Finally get a DP and I find myself thinking about all of the nice used gassers that were available.

ObedB, A Road Connection.

With the ethanol blend in Gas, its like the chicken and the egg scenario ! There is no easy way out at this point. With the Ethanol sensors and the effect ethanol has on metal fuel lines and putting plastic fuel lines in a high pressure system, that do not like high heat, they ten to get soft and pressure kind of blows them up.

This is going to be a steep learning curve for both the consumer and the manufactures of Automobiles.

Rich.