astmi

Fuel Filter Question

I own a Holiday Scepter with a 350 HP Cummins.

There is what looks like mashed paper or carton in the primary fuel filter. No problem for the first 35000 miles. The RV has now 50 000 miles.

The filter will last for 4 - 5000miles and then clogs. I just replaced the filter for the 3rd time.

Would there be some kind of a filter between the tank and the primary filter?

If you have a HR there is most likely a primary and a secondary filter. What year is your HR and do you have a side A/C condenser? Also sounds like you need fuel treatment like anti-gel.

Re Anti Gel: Howes is a favorite in my area. I have seen how effective it can be by being able to look directly into a truck's saddle tanks. When wax crystals form a diesel will barely run and when the crystals worsen, it shuts down. As long as the engine is still running a healthy dose of treatment and some patience on the accelerator will probably work. When they shut down the work really starts. I bought Power Service winter formula fuel treatment from Walmart for cold weather use, but I will still keep some Howes at the ready. We plan on being in Colorado for a few more weeks.

With today's heavily blended bio diesel, if you want to run in cold weather, take precautions.

Let's back up a minute. WHAT do you find in the filter(s) when they clog up: black particles, black and slimy, rust, dirt, water....?

Then we can advice what to use.

The filter is clogged with what looks like small pieces of paper or carton. There is no rust or water and the fuel in the filter is clean.

Mechanics I had advice from think there would be a filter between the tank and the primary fuel filter and this filter would be the problem.

Let's make sure we are all on the same page here.

Fuel comes from the tank to the primary fuel filter/water separator. Freightliner chassis did have an inline filter on the frame rail in front of the primary filter, but not aware of any Monaco products that had one. The fuel then goes to the lift pump, then to the secondary (fine) filter and then to the engine. From your description, I ASSUME that it is the primary filter/water separator that is clogging.

Wonder if someone put something in the tank? Since this seems to be an on-going problem, you might find a FUEL POLISHER. Very common in the marine industry. They will use a high speed pump to suck from the bottom of the tank, run it through large filters and return it to the tank. When nothing more is being trapped by their filter, you are good to go.

Good advice. As you know the doors to the tank are locked. So, no one can put something in the tank. This why we suspect a filter between the tank and the primary fuel filter. Would someone know if there is such a filter?

I don't know if your HR is like mine as you didn't answer my question but my coach primary fuel water separator is located behind the A/C condenser right behind the left rear wheel. I have to use the barrel key to unlock and lift the panel up and the same key to unlock the condenser and swing it out. While you are in there change your air brakes dryer filter.