timdonohue

Newmar Baystar Door Rattle

My new Newmar Baystar 3124 has a terrible rattle in the door. It appears to be coming from the latch not holding the door properly. It is most noticeable when the coach is driving on roads that cause a vertical bounce in the chassis.

One dealer moved the metal stop up and in just a bit, and that helped, but it still is noticeable. One tech told me to wrap some electrical tape around the post to act as a soft shim. Not sure that is a great idea, but bailing wire and gum often do work. Obviously something need to be adjusted.

Any experience or thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Tim,

Welcome to the FMCA forum. I'm fairly new here as well, but appreciate all the wisdom from the forum.

We are recent owners of a 2014 Newmar Ventana and are experiencing the same issues with our door. Ours wouldn't shut properly, and you couldn't use the dead bolt. After going into the frame (not the door) and moving the pin (what you call the metal stop I think) further out, the door now closes, although you have to give it a good slam. They also had to "re-camber" the door using a tool supplied to them from the door mfg. as it had a much larger gap toward the top of the door when it was closed. So, in essence, our door had major issues that we're still not sure is totally fixed. We just got it back from the shop and still notice some wind noise and we also have the rattle coming from inside the door, seemingly coming from the handle mechanism. We haven't dealt with the rattle/noise issue yet. Keep us informed what you learn as you deal with this.

rm,

I will certainly post what I find out. Not being near a Newmar dealer, means I am running a yellow sheet of gripes to take in later. Having already replaced a chassis blower fan the first month, I am now dealing with this door. It is really distracting to to hear this rattle (I have it on video). The door seems to fit snugly on normal inspection, but there is something wrong with the latch, an internal part I can't see, or the outer door seal is not doing its job.

Perhaps my expectations were set to high when told that Newmar focus is on quality. I would hate to see the competition.

After a few years of ownership, the door began to rattle in my Bounder and I could not live with it. There was a foam tape insulation material attached to the door frame that the face of the door rested against. I replaced it with a slightly more dense material and this provided enough tension on the door to stop the rattle completely. Requires a little extra pull to latch the door.

I had to do this job twice. Cats being cats always discover something new in their environment and Toby worked all night digging out the new foam insulation between the door and the jam face. Woke up to a stepwell littered with black foam .