Sign in to follow this  
BernardPBedard

Towing A 2014 Chrysler Town And Country Minivan

I recently leased a new 2014 Chrysler Town and Country minivan. I have to dolly tow or trailer tow because I cannot make any modifications to the vehicle. I previously flat towed a Chrysler minivan with the Remco lube pump and Falcon tow bar system. However I cannot flat tow the new van without making modifications which are prohibited.

Therefore my questions are:

1) Is there anyone who is towing a Chrysler minivan with a dolly?

2) If so what brand and what type- Is it a swivel platform or stationary? does it have electric brakes or surge? What manufacturer?

My motor home is a 2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40x diesel pusher

If the front wheels lock with the key not in the on position, I would recommend a dolly with built in swivel. I prefer surge brakes because of the simplicity, no need for electric brake wiring. Of course this only matter of opinion.

I prefer air brakes that I have on my tow dolly because if I go down a long hill I don't burn up the dolly brakes, I use the exhaust brake and very little service brake.

We tow a Toyota Sienna Van with front wheel drive. We use a Master Tow Dolly and have had no problems with it except some uneven tire wear on one side. We chose the Master Tow because of the 80 inch width. We tried a couple of other brands but the width between the dolly tire fenders was not wide enough. It has surge brakes which have performed fine and has a swivel cradle. I might say that our Sienna, modified by Braun for a ramp van to accommodate my wife's wheelchair, pushes the weight limit for the tow dolly. You will probably not have that issue. We also tow another vehicle ('98 Buick Riviera) on occasion which is why we went with the tow dolly so we wouldn't have to rig up two vehicles.

Don

Ended up buying a Demco Karkaddy II. Even though it was the most expensive (also looked at Master Tow and Roadmaster) I bought the Demco for the following reasons:

1) Storage capability - Toung folds in half and ramps fold up

2) Wheels on dolly turn when you are turning with your motorhome

3) Heavy duty construction - Just seemed to be built better than the others

4) Has a moving assist wheel for pushing the dolly around

It was a tight fit for the minivan (76 inch width max outside tire to outside tire) Minivan was 74.5 inches. Hooked everything up and towed for about 25 miles. Everything worked out great