mike.meneldil@gmail.com

Environmental Protection Option

Hi. This is my first post (I just joined your site a short while ago). I did a search in the forums for this topic, but couldn't find anything on it, so I'm posting this.

I am purchasing a Class A motorhome from a dealer. Although it is a 2008 model, it has not been sold before (other than to the dealer). The dealer is pushing an extended warranty as well as something called an Environmental Protection Plan. Basically, this involves a Teflon "Scotchguard" type application on the interior and some type of applied chemical (also Teflon based) on the exterior to provide "UV protection and original factory luster" for seven years. The price for all this $1,795 ($1,095 for just the exterior).

I'm skeptical. My wife and I feel we can take care of any interior treatments ourselves; however, the exterior treatment as described to me is beyond my capabilities.

What do you think? Is there any value in this? I figure if I keep it washd and waxed and use a cover when feasible, I should be OK. Nonetheless, I don't claim to be an expert, so your input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Welcome Mike,

You haven't mentioned the specific motor home involved nor the specific name of the treatment. Both these important facts will help you get better responses to your query.

We have Scotchguard on our fabrics in the motor home. The exterior has multiple layers of clear coat over the paint and that keeps our six year old motor home looking sharp. Both these features were standard on our motor home. We live full time in our motor home so the interior and exterior don't get any rest.

Given the market for motor homes today and the fact that you are purchasing a two year old motor home (the 2010 models are out this month or next), you should be getting a real steal. Yes, the motor home may have been just sitting for two years but it has tires that will need to be replaced in 5 years or less. The technology (digital TV?) in this motor home is two years old. Newer models have more bells and whistles. The dealer is paying interest on the motor home or has money tied up in the motor home for two years. These are all arguments for reducing the price or asking for more perks!

I would ask the dealer to throw this into the deal rather than paying extra for it. Generally this kind of extra is a high profit item designed to squeeze more profit out of the deal for the dealer. If they won't throw it into the deal, I'd pass unless you can get support from someone who has the system and can verify its value.

One last thing. I'd be very careful about using a cover on the RV. Any cover will cause chafing of the paint in areas where it is loose and moves or flaps. I think there are as many negatives as positives to using covers.

Guest 2driftrs

Mike, Tom is right. The dealer is looking to make a few extra bucks. Our rig is ten years old and shows no signs of exterior UV damage. I pressure wash it once a year including the rubber roof. Our GB came with Scotchguard inside, and we really don't think it made that much of a difference except to add to the smell of the formaldehyde already present in most new rigs. Save your money unless the dealer is willing to throw it in no charge to close the deal.

As far as the extended warranty, that's a matter of choice. We had one when we bought our rig and it was a waste of money. Nothing went wrong or failed for which I ever needed dealer service. On the other hand, if something does go wrong, it can be a big help to offset the costs of repairs. The $700 cost of the extended warranty is less than the cost of most of your major appliances.

Good answers.

Protection packages are basically dealer additional profit items. You could Scotchgard the interior yourself and have the exterior waxed annually for a long time for that price.

And you have to decide your risk tolerance level when it comes to Service Policies (not really warranties). Reality says there is enough profit in it (i.e. people pay more in than they get out) to pay the dealer and Service Policy Company a profit. Particularly if you are handy so repairs would generally cost "parts only" it may not make sense for you.

If you like the security of knowing your costs up front, it may be a good idea. BUT read the fine print carefully. Many have disclaimers that eliminate many repairs one may expect to be covered. Example: Some policies exclude gaskets, yet oil leaks, etc are one of the more common failures.

Brett Wolfe

Hi. This is my first post (I just joined your site a short while ago). I did a search in the forums for this topic, but couldn't find anything on it, so I'm posting this.

I am purchasing a Class A motorhome from a dealer. Although it is a 2008 model, it has not been sold before (other than to the dealer). The dealer is pushing an extended warranty as well as something called an Environmental Protection Plan. Basically, this involves a Teflon "Scotchguard" type application on the interior and some type of applied chemical (also Teflon based) on the exterior to provide "UV protection and original factory luster" for seven years. The price for all this $1,795 ($1,095 for just the exterior).

I'm skeptical. My wife and I feel we can take care of any interior treatments ourselves; however, the exterior treatment as described to me is beyond my capabilities.

What do you think? Is there any value in this? I figure if I keep it washd and waxed and use a cover when feasible, I should be OK. Nonetheless, I don't claim to be an expert, so your input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

One last thing. I'd be very careful about using a cover on the RV. Any cover will cause chafing of the paint in areas where it is loose and moves or flaps. I think there are as many negatives as positives to using covers. (Quoted from TBUTLER)

I would like to add my second to his motion. I did the cover thing last winter, not good. My awning has a spinnythingy that senses wind speed and retracts the awning. Well, I still have the thingy but the spinny is gone. Replacement cost??? $298 + installation. That and the cover was shredded from a winter of Kansas winds.

Thank you for your responses. I have tried to add RV info like the rest of you do at the bottom of your posts but haven't been able to figure it out yet (I already posted a note for help in the newcomer section). Since you ask, it is a Monaco Diplomat. It seems the dealer is working to get back some profit by offering additional services. I don't blame him - it's a tough economy. I had already decided to skip the extended warranty. Your input on the exterior treatment has made up my mind on that, too. You'll note I was already skeptical; now I plan to pass on that offer as well. I appreciate the bonus input on the cover. I was debating that, too, but didn't specifically mention it. I also was wondering about rub/wear marks. Plus, it would be quite a chore to get a cover on such a large vehicle.

Regards,

Mike

I appreciate the bonus input on the cover. I was debating that, too, but didn't specifically mention it. I also was wondering about rub/wear marks. Plus, it would be quite a chore to get a cover on such a large vehicle.

Regards,

Mike

It is. It's an even bigger chore getting it off. :rolleyes: