stillcous@yahoo.com

Remedies For Leaking Antifreeze Into The Engine Oil

I have a Cummins 8.3 in my Beaver Coach. I have had to start adding antifreeze (Fleetguard 50/50 extended life antifreeze) quite regularly during my trip-about 1 gallon every 1000 miles. I had my oil changed before I left on my trip and had Shell Rotella 15W40 installed. I had my oil analyzed at 1600 miles of my trip. The readings were 114 ppm for Sodium, 145 ppm for Potassium and 1.1 ppm for glycol. I had the oil changed and installed Mobil Delvas Elite 15W40 Synthetic. I have now driven 750 miles and had another oil analysis done. The readings are were 58 ppm for Sodium, 98 ppm for Potassium and 0 ppm for glycol.

Engine oil pressure is normal about 60 psig at 1700 rpm and engine water temperatures is normal about 190 degrees.

I would like to make it home if I can which is about 1300 miles. I have heard of a couple of home remedies and wonder if they would hurt. One is putting coarse black pepper in the radiator, another is putting mustard in the radiator and then the other is putting Bars Leak-the pellet kind in the radiator. Has anyone done this? Thanks.

If you are not going to see freezing temperatures drain antifreeze and replace with water so if you get it in your oil it will evaporate and not do more engine damage

Adding some of your leak stoppers could be a long term problem to try to clean up

stillcous,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Not sure our long distance gambling on your engine is what you need. It could be something as simple as seal in the oil cooler in the engine. I would sure swing by a Cummins shop and have them take a look at it.

Said another way, delaying fixing it or using a home remedy that causes issues down the road may be a very expensive option.