rkbtcruiser

Generator will not start?

Hi Folks.

I have a 2004 Gulfstream BT Cruiser, 28 foot long with a Generac 40g generator. I recently ran my generator and it shut off when the vehicle fuel tank reached 1/4 tank full. I filled the vehicle with gas and now the generator will not start. I hooked up a fuel line to a remote gas can and the generator runs fine. Something is still telling the generator low fuel and it will not draw fuel from the tank.

I did the troubleshooting from the generator manual and covered everything except reference to an open #14 awg wire at the control panel. Does this sound like an electrical issure, or mechanical? Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,

Rick

2004 Gulfstream B, 28ft

Rick,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

From your description (starts [my assumption] and runs fine from external fuel source), it sounds like you have isolated the problem to the fuel system.

If you have a transmission pump or other suction source, clamp a length of clear plastic hose on the generator end of the fuel line from main tank. Suck on it and verify that you have an bubble-free stream of fuel.

Check for kinks and loose hose clamps on newer RV's. Add check for cracked hose allowing air into the line on older ones.

Brett Wolfe

Rick,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

From your description (starts [my assumption] and runs fine from external fuel source), it sounds like you have isolated the problem to the fuel system.

If you have a transmission pump or other suction source, clamp a length of clear plastic hose on the generator end of the fuel line from main tank. Suck on it and verify that you have an bubble-free stream of fuel.

Check for kinks and loose hose clamps on newer RV's. Add check for cracked hose allowing air into the line on older ones.

Brett Wolfe

Thanks Brett,

I believe the fuel pump on the generator is the suction source. It will draw the gas up hill from a gas can at a lower point. It will not draw gas from the vehicle tank which is positioned above the generator and leads me to believe there must be some type of switch or solenoid to do this. Also, the line that feeds the generator exits at the top of the vehicle fuel tank so probably not gravity feed. I will inspect the line for any signs of age or cracking, it is wrapped in a plastic conduit and wire tied to the frame so I did not totally disassemble yet.

Thanks again,

Rick

Thanks Brett,

I believe the fuel pump on the generator is the suction source. It will draw the gas up hill from a gas can at a lower point. It will not draw gas from the vehicle tank which is positioned above the generator and leads me to believe there must be some type of switch or solenoid to do this. Also, the line that feeds the generator exits at the top of the vehicle fuel tank so probably not gravity feed. I will inspect the line for any signs of age or cracking, it is wrapped in a plastic conduit and wire tied to the frame so I did not totally disassemble yet.

Thanks again,

Rick

You could have a solenoid/switch, though I have never seen one in that application on a Class A. Check with Gulfstream.

Clearly, you should be able to suck gasoline through the fuel line from the generator end with no or little resistance.

And if the generator fuel pump will pump fuel from a can on the ground, it will pump it from a "higher" source as it requires less head pressure.

Brett Wolfe

This problem sounds more like air in the line has somehow blocked the flow of fuel. The fuel line from the generator is a pick-up feed from the fuel tank. That is the line extends down into the tank only as far as the 1/4 tank level. There is nothing that tells the generator when to shut off. When the fuel level drops below the level of the fuel line intake, the generator runs out of fuel.

Having hooked a direct line to a gas can, I ask, did you fill that line with fuel? Or was that line left with air in it and the generator still ran? Our generator requires an extended priming cycle when it runs out of fuel. It could be that an air blockage is preventing fuel flow even if the fuel line from the gas can was not filled with fuel before starting. Perhaps the route of the line traps air in the line. Another explanation I can think of is perhaps floating debris has blocked the fuel line intake in the fuel tank. If this has happened you could try blowing out the fuel line with an air hose and then try restarting.

A final note of caution. I would search hard and long before sucking on a fuel line! In the old days, we used to do those things but now it is strongly advised that we not inhale gasoline fumes. Gloves are advised when handling diesel fuel. I wouldn't want a mouthful of gas. You should be able to find a suction pump for drawing fuel into the fuel line.

A final note of caution. I would search hard and long before sucking on a fuel line! In the old days, we used to do those things but now it is strongly advised that we not inhale gasoline fumes. Gloves are advised when handling diesel fuel. I wouldn't want a mouthful of gas. You should be able to find a suction pump for drawing fuel into the fuel line.

Tom,

I totally agree.

Here is an excerpt from my first post: If you have a transmission pump or other suction source, clamp a length of clear plastic hose on the generator end of the fuel line from main tank. Suck on it and verify that you have an bubble-free stream of fuel.

Brett Wolfe

This problem sounds more like air in the line has somehow blocked the flow of fuel. The fuel line from the generator is a pick-up feed from the fuel tank. That is the line extends down into the tank only as far as the 1/4 tank level. There is nothing that tells the generator when to shut off. When the fuel level drops below the level of the fuel line intake, the generator runs out of fuel.

Having hooked a direct line to a gas can, I ask, did you fill that line with fuel? Or was that line left with air in it and the generator still ran? Our generator requires an extended priming cycle when it runs out of fuel. It could be that an air blockage is preventing fuel flow even if the fuel line from the gas can was not filled with fuel before starting. Perhaps the route of the line traps air in the line. Another explanation I can think of is perhaps floating debris has blocked the fuel line intake in the fuel tank. If this has happened you could try blowing out the fuel line with an air hose and then try restarting.

Thanks Tom,

I used a clear line to the gas can and I watched the gas flow when I hit the primer switch. I figured the same should happen from the vehicle fuel tank? I like the idea of introducing some air in the opposite direction, I hope there in no obstruction especially large. My neighbor is a car mechanic and he believes possibly the suction pump may prime the line again. He also thinks it is just a pick up feed in the tank. I'll try the suction routine this weekend. Thanks for helping.

Regards,

Rick

Generator update.

I was able to get the generator running with little work. I used a hand held vaccum pump to the fuel line going to the tank. The flow of gas was just a trickle which caused me to inspect the line. I believe the end of the line had a slight split allowing the pump to suck more air than gas air. I trimed the end of the line and made a good connection, it fired right up.

Thanks to Brett and Tom for the input. You can file this one in the FIXED file folder.

Thanks again,

Rick