mba19

Emergency Brake Alarm

Hello to all...

I have an 04 Knight that the parking brake horn has a tendency to chirp intermittently ...sometimes when starting in the morning it may chirp for two or three minutes while driving and then may not chirp for hours unless after parking and setting the parking brake. I then drive away and it may chirp....it may chirp for 10 seconds or three minutes and then sometimes not at all.

All appears to be well ( air pressure etc.) so at a loss as to where to start. The chirp seems to be somewhat worse when it is cool and / or damp.

Sometimes the chirp will start while driving and may only chirp 3 or 4 times and other times may last for longer ...again air pressures and all else appear to be normal....I have occasionally stopped the coach and cycled the parking brake with no improvement...it appears to just stop when it decides to....

I know this probably sounds very strange and it is but perhaps some have experienced same?

any ideas? Thanks for your help

Mark

Mark,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

Have you owned the coach since New ?

This information regards a recall and you mentioned a park brake issue.

Let the group know.

Recall Summary: ON CERTAIN CLASS A MOTOR HOMES, THE SPACER PLATE UNDER THE TRAILING ARMS HAD A TRANSVERSE WELD WHICH CREATES A HEAT RISER AND CAUSE THE TRAILING ARMS TO CRACK.

Hazard: THIS COULD CREATE ROUGH DRIVING CONDITIONS AND DAMAGE TO REAR SUSPENSION SYSTEM. THE DRIVER COULD LOOSE CONTROL OF THE MOTORHOME AND A CRASH COULD OCCUR WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE.

Remedy: DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE REPLACE THE TRAILING ARMS FOR CRACKS AND REPLACING THE TRAILING ARMS AND U-BOLTS IN THE REAR SUSPENSION OF THE MOTORHOMES FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON MARCH 29, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT MONACO AT 1-800-685-6545.

Additional Info: MONACO RECALL NO. R04062.CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

NHTSA Source: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallresults.cfm?start=1&SearchType=QuickSearch&rcl_ID=05V053000

Rich.

Yes, the trailing arm issue is very serious. But, I do not believe the "new Monaco" Corp is involved/will pay for this.

Here is a better look at the issue: http://community.fmca.com/topic/569-important-safety-problem-monaco-holiday-rambler-safari-chassis/

But, with that said, I do not believe that the trailing arm failure issue is related to a quirky emergency brake warning buzzer.

Mark,

Give Monaco a call with your VIN. They should be able to walk you through troubleshooting this:

Monaco Technical: 877-466-6226 Mon - Fri: 7:00am - 4:00pm PT

Mark,

It looks like the system monitors the Brake Can(s) for the Park and Drive brake system.

This could give you an indication of something hanging up and the possibility of a brake pad dragging.

I did find wiring information on one model the pictures a purple wire going to the M7 connector in the dash area, but no information on where the circuit originates.

Rich.

Thanks to Brett and Richard.. I spoke to the tech folks at Monaco and it is their consensus that the switch beneath the parking brake actuator is intermittently malfunctioning and causing the problem....they also had the switch in stock and will ship out asap (~$60.00)

Hope this cures the problem.....

Mark

Common problem, I keep an extra switch in reserve. It didn't stop the problem the last time it occurred. Ours is a buzzer and it will make me crazy. I stopped and changed out the switch but it still buzzed. Once I checked everything and all looked and acted good, I dug into the dash and disconnected the alarm buzzer.

The problem that time was a fuse. A local shop identified the problem and fixed it but I never found out which fuse or where it was located. Everything is functioning normally for the last few years...

To close the loop on this ...the switch,from Monaco, came today and was installed in ~10 minutes ...problem fixed!!

Thanks to all that responded, your help was much appreciated...

Mark