wildebill308

Water/Metanol Consumption Rate

I have ben doing some research on Water/Methanol injection systems.

I am wondering if anyone has doe this and what there results were and what was there experience on how much they used, average use etc. I am trying to decide how big of a tank I might need. They have kits that use the windshield washer supply tank. That doesn't seem like a big enough supply. Also wondering if they feel like they gained anything.

This will be on a 5.9 ISB Cummins see my sig.

Bill

I worked with water injection back in the 70's on gas engines. The timing could be advanced slightly and you could use lower octane fuel. I don't know what it does on a diesel.

When used on diesel engines it works much the same as on gas engines. When using water alone it lowers the intake temperature which also lowers EGT temps. with just the water you may see a little bump in mileage because you are more efficient with a lower charge air temperature. With the added Methanol it will increase power as you are adding fuel. There are claims of added fuel mileage but that remains to be seen.

Bill

One of the problems we had was the water would form ice in the venturi and shut down the carb. This was in cooler temp but not freezing. Another thing was that you had to use purified water because after a while the chemical buildup would plug up the water orifice.

One of the problems we had was the water would form ice in the venturi and shut down the carb. This was in cooler temp but not freezing. Another thing was that you had to use purified water because after a while the chemical buildup would plug up the water orifice.

Well that isn't likely to happen on a direct injection diesel. I haven't heard of any problems with nozzles clogging but they should be fairly easy to change.

This is the system I am looking at I haven't decided whether to go with the double or single shot.

http://www.bankspower.com/products/show/?option_id=474%7C79%7CDiesel%20Motorhomes%2C%20%0A03-07%20Cummins%20-%20ISB-CR%205.9L%7C19

Hear is a link to an article you might like to read.

http://www.dieselarmy.com/engine-tech/how-it-works/how-it-works-water-methanol-injection/

Bill