florist8146

Best Roads Buffalo, WY To Yellowstone-- Through Cody?

Question

We are going to Yellowstone from Mt Rushmore with 44ft DP and towed. We will be reaching Buffalo,WY on rt 90. I seen the map and I have not done any mountain driving with this RV.

My options per may is to take 16 w to 14/16/20 w thru Cody, WY, then to east entrance to Yellowstone.

I see from mtdirectory that I would do Powder Rver Pass and Dead Indian Pass which have some steep grade and hairpin turns.

OR go north on 90 up thru MT thru Billings to Bozeman mt and pick rt 191 and enter Yellowstone at the Northgate.Taking this route appears to avoid the steep grade and hairpin turns.

Any info on these two passes on rt14 or trip thru Mt would really be appreciated. going thru MT does not allow us to stop in Cody which we are told is a good place to see but I am more concerned about this rt with big rig.

Thanks

1 answer to this question

florist,

I understand the concern with the steep grades. But Cody to the East entrance is not really a bad trip and Cody is a must stop. Buffalo Bill's Center has to be one of the best we have been to. Now when entering the East side there are some curvy road and a couple of hairpin curves they weren't bad when we were there.

By the way when at Rushmore go back at night that is one spectacular sight.

Have a great trip,

Herman