wmpbauer

Tyron Bands

Video is still staged...not a real time incident, with normal people driving and then unsuspectingly have a front tire blow!  As FIVE said, it's not going to happen in real time...90% are going to "SLAM ON THE BRAKE", Jerk the steering wheel & pray!  

On 12/7/2018 at 10:26 AM, WILDEBILL308 said:

I still think teaching people to step on the accelerator is primarily to keep them from geting on the brakes before they get over the initial shock. More like a starting point in the process of keeping control. They know most coaches won't accelerate in that first few seconds.  

Bill

That sounds good but it will never work.  In order to teach somebody what to do in an emergency you have to do it, it cannot be learned watching a movie.  It must be practiced over and over and over, and become a conditioned response, the basic MH driver cannot do.  We do it all the time in the aviation business.  Especially in a helicopter, if the engine quits, immediate action must be taken or your helicopter will have all the flying characteristics of a brick.  Training is accomplished in a helicopter with dual controls with the instructor and simulating an engine failure.  At the start of training the student will be a bit slow to react, thus the dual controls and the instructor on board to take immediate action.  However, once trained, the student pilot will act immediately.  We don't have the capability to do that in our MHs thus stepping on the accelerator will never be a conditioned response.

My conditioned response will most likely be to get this sucker slowed and safely off the road as quickly as possible. Although I never practiced steering in to a skid, that has never been hard to do on the few occasions I've needed to do it.