Sign in to follow this  
RVPA

American Coach or Newmar?

Considering a new coach & was looking at Dutch Stars but think we might look for a little more coach a couple years old. 2012 or newer with a 500hp. We did look at the Mountain Air new but not at that price point we might look used. Lots of changes in the 2015 models that confuse things even more.

Do like the Newmar but they do not offer too much with the dinette on the passenger side. I am seeing American Eagles with dinette on the right side & floor plans we can live with.

Early on in our shopping we did drive an American Coach & I thought it was one of the better riding coaches we drove. Yes I drove the comfort drive Newmar both in the DS & MA & comfort drive is nice but the coach was not as quiet a ride as the American Coach or the Allegro Bus 45.

What can you tell me about the American Coach Eagle vs maybe a Newmar Essex one or two years old?

I think I might opt for a couple year old coach. The Essex is definitely a higher level coach than the Eagle. The Eagle is the low end American Coach. The Essex is a higher level than the Mountain Air as well.

I believe the Eagle is a similar level to the Dutch Star. The Tiffin Zephyr would be closer to the Mountain Air than the Eagle. The Essex is higher than both these other coaches.

Try to find a previously owned coach, about 2 years old with low miles if possible. The bugs will be worked out to a great extent with a couple year old coach.

RVPA,

Looking for a pre-owned coach is a good Idea. The really hard depreciation have happened and as Medico said all of the new coach bugs have been worked out.

Check out Motor Homes of Texas. They are in Nacogdoches, Texas. They have a great selection of pre-owned coached and you can se pictures of everything in and on the coach. http://motorhomesoftexas.com/

Herman

We looked at several Newmars and American Coaches, I have always admired the "American Dream" models, I really liked them both, one thing I noticed on the Newmars was leaking roofs, I know this is not normal but three of the four we looked at had roof problems, one in particular was a 2004 Dutch Star, it was the perfect coach for us, color and floor plan, but the roof was wavey to the point you could lift up the rear A/C unit and wiggle it around, the surrounding roof material would bounce up and down with it. After the first three the fourth one was nice but I could not convience my wife on Newmar. Whatever you purchase just give it a good look over or have someoone do so for you.

Good luck with your shopping

....The Essex is definitely a higher level coach than the Eagle. The Eagle is the low end American Coach...

This information is not correct. The Eagle is the next to the top of the AC line, starting at around $625k. AC's line up is Revolution, Allegiance, Tradition, Eagle and Heritage.

Last fall I purchased the American Tradition 07' model and am very pleased with it. After shopping and searching for over 5 years and this being my first coach I feel I was fortunate to start with this model as my first.

I originally was set on a Newmar Dutch Star for several years. Then for a short period I looked at the Tiffin models but found this Tradition at Lazy Days and when we discussed the comparison of the coaches the rep said that the Dutch Star Model was a model step up from the Traditions Model.

I have heard about the "Dream" model and know others with them but they must be older models because they are not in the lineup now. Where did the "Dream" model fit in the lineup ? Has it been replaced by one of the other models?

The Dream was last made in 2003. It was above the Tradition and below the Eagle. In 2004 American redesigned the entire model line-up, dropping the Dream and moving the Tradition upscale. Prior to that, some might have rated a Dutch Star a Tradition, but from 2004 on I think that would be a tough argument. Of course, Newmar shuffled their model names/models around in that timeframe as well. Probably a pointless discussion anyway. Look them over and see what suits your likes & needs best.