wildebill308

Words You Post On Social Media Can Hurt You

Did you know words can hurt you? What you say on social media can do you harm? Here is a case where someone made a Rant on face Book about his job and the people he worked with. The only problem was the company was in the UAE. When he returned to the UAE he was arrested and is facing five years in jail for the remarks he made. Keep in mind he made the remarks while on a trip back to the US.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/...book-post/vi-AA9st3Z

Bill

I have worked in the computer industry for 31 years, and I still do not do social media. I really don't want people other than the ones that I call on the phone, or e-mail directly, knowing what my family looks like, or when I'm on a business, or camping trip. And many other things that can happen because of social media. By the way, I work closely with state and county government, and big brother monitors social media for taxing purposes, such as looking through the pictures and brags about changes in housing, so they can increase property and personal property taxes. Sorry for the long rant, but I'm in agreement with you Bill.

There was a recent commit made by Sen. John McCain. He said that he does not Text or Email. He siad that he was too hot headed and speaks his mind quickly and doesn't want something he said in anger to be put in the social meadia. Smart man.

Herman

E-mails are notoriously unsecure, as evidenced by the almost daily stories in the media about leaked emails, texts, photos, etc.. My personal rule is to never put anything in an email, text, or on social media, etc. that I wouldn't want to see on front page of a newspaper or circulated on the internet. Privacy is a bygone concept. Sad but true.

Seems to me all of us are liable for anything we say in public. Anywhere, anytime. The internet and social websites in particular plaster our words worldwide, so there is every expectation that they will be seen by those who may not agree or appreciate our opinions. It's the electronic equivalent of shouting from the courthouse steps at high noon back in the day. And some may even take illegal advanatge of knowledge gained from our comments.

We also need to be aware that other countries often do not observe the same freedoms we are accustomed to here. Or that some readers may not care about such protections, e.g. the Charlie Hebdo attacks. Being legally free to say something cannot guarantee immunity from the potential consequences, Words can indeed invite harm.