gaylemarlowe

Update On Caterpillar Hard Start

A few months ago I wrote that my Cat C9 intake heater would not work. A couple of you suggested the relay or the sensors as a potential problem, so that was where I started. Replaced the relay and all 3 sensors one at a time to see if that would cure the problem. No help. Scheduled service at my local Cat dealer and took it in at 8:00 on a Wed. They hooked the computer to it and within 5 minutes told me what the problem was.

About 18 months ago I had them do the valve adjustment on the engine and at that time they told me they uploaded the new software that had come out from Cat. At the time I was grateful for the recent upload of software.

Evidently there is a simple selection within the new software that the service tech must choose to either have the heater work or not have the heater work. Guess which one he chose during the software upload? YUP. Chose the NO WORK thingy.

After selecting the right option, he told me to try the key and see if the heater worked. Surprise, it works. Now I have a complete set of goodies for my intake heater should they EVER go bad. Good thing is they did not charge me for the service to turn on the heater!!!!

But, overall, my experience with this Cat dealer has been very good.

Just thought I would let other Cat guys know of my experience.

That is great news, unusual they admitted to their error, which in my book is always good, people make mistakes its how you own them and learn from them that makes you a good person.

joe

When I asked last summer, during a pressure sensor replacement, about a software update, the tech said in his experience, updates normally were required because the EPA kept requiring leaner conditions, which lead to other issues. His advice was unless I was having a problem, leave the updates alone. Of course, my C9 is in a 2005 coach.

When I asked last summer, during a pressure sensor replacement, about a software update, the tech said in his experience, updates normally were required because the EPA kept requiring leaner conditions, which lead to other issues. His advice was unless I was having a problem, leave the updates alone. Of course, my C9 is in a 2005 coach.

Lot of truth to that.

Bottom line-- unless there is a software update to address a specific issue you are having, PASS ON IT.