Sign in to follow this  
carluv

Slide Problem; Shore Power vs. Generator

While on vacation 3 weeks ago, the temperature got down to around 31 degrees as we were getting ready to leave. The bedroom slideout went in fine, but there was no power to the living room slide. I tried to put the bedroom out again and there was no power to it, either. We were still hooked up to power at the site. I started the generator and both slides worked fine, then. No problem since.

Anyone have this problem before or know what I should look for if it happens again?

I think a auto resets breaker tripped and resettled by time you started the generator. The slides generally works on 12 volts. Cold weather makes the seals hard with much less give.

Carluv,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

That is a puzzler. Either generator or shore power should provide exactly the same "power" to the battery/batteries (house for sure, perhaps chassis as well) through your converter, charger or inverter charger. Said another way, your charging device only knows that you supplied it with 120 VAC so should be no difference based on shore power vs generator.

The first question is: Which battery bank, house or chassis powers the slide motor?

The next step is to check voltage at the battery bank that provides power to the slide motor-- both at rest and when the motor is engaged. Something as simple as a loose terminal (metal SHRINKS as it gets colder) could cause too much voltage drop. The last test would be to check voltage at the slide motor terminals both at rest and when someone is engaging the slide motor.

AND, a cold battery provides less power than does a warm one.

Also, as Ray pointed out, seals are stiffer in cold weather.

The combination of "all the above" may have done exactly what Ray suggested-- overload the resettable breaker.

I think a auto resets breaker tripped and resettled by time you started the generator. The slides generally works on 12 volts. Cold weather makes the seals hard with much less give.

Thank You for the info. When I was checking fuses, I noticed the breaker, so I hope that is what caused the problem.

Carluv,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

That is a puzzler. Either generator or shore power should provide exactly the same "power" to the battery/batteries (house for sure, perhaps chassis as well) through your converter, charger or inverter charger. Said another way, your charging device only knows that you supplied it with 120 VAC so should be no difference based on shore power vs generator.

The first question is: Which battery bank, house or chassis powers the slide motor?

The next step is to check voltage at the battery bank that provides power to the slide motor-- both at rest and when the motor is engaged. Something as simple as a loose terminal (metal SHRINKS as it gets colder) could cause too much voltage drop. The last test would be to check voltage at the slide motor terminals both at rest and when someone is engaging the slide motor.

AND, a cold battery provides less power than does a warm one.

Also, as Ray pointed out, seals are stiffer in cold weather.

The combination of "all the above" may have done exactly what Ray suggested-- overload the resettable breaker.

Thank You for the info. If I have any further problem with the slides, I will have to check the voltages to the motor. I hope it was just the breaker.

I believe it is the breaker. However it has done it 3 more times and now in 90 degree weather. The large slide gets about 5 inches from being in all the way and then the breaker trips. have no problem with the bedroom slide, but it is a much smaller slide. I wait a few minutes and it comes back on. Could the breaker be bad?

Yes, the breaker could be bad, or voltage low at the slide mechanism (causing excessive amp draw), or there could be a problem with the slide or its alignment, causing excessive friction/resistance.

More details would help us to help you: what coach you have, what kind of slide mechanism, and if you have checked voltage at the slide motor, what you saw.

Can you test bringing in the slides with the engine running. I have higher voltage from the engine alternator and my operators manual states to operate the slide with the engine running. If the voltage is low from the batteries when on shore power or generator, higher current is needed to operate the slide motors which could cause the breaker to trip early.