Sign in to follow this  
pollonbeeche

House Battery Replacement

I own a 2006 Holiday Rambler Vacationer with a Cummins ISB-300HP Diesel engine, we are planing a trip to Alaska and might do some dry camping. This coach has 2 Interstate 6 volts GC2HDX-UTL batteries. I want to replace them and put 4 new Interstate GC2-RD-UTL for a little more lasting power.

My question is: Does my 156 AMP alternator on this engine has the capacity to keep the new 4 batteries charged when you are driving?

And does the 55 AMP Electronic 12 Volt Converter has the capacity to maintain them charged when you are hook-up to 110Volt AC power?

I will appreciate any input.

Rod

Rod,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Short answer is YES. Both your alternator and converter will keep them up.

Now, if you plan on dry-camping for an extended period of time in one place (like you REALLY like salmon), than you may want to upgrade your converter or use it AND an additional battery charger to minimize generator run time.

Thank you Brett for your prompt reply I will follow your advice.

You sound like you are very knowledgeable about motor homing.

I have another question, my coach has 31000 miles any other recommendation on engine maintenance. I already had oil, oil filter and all fuel filters changed for this trip. I also had the generator serviced, new tires installed, serviced water heater and lube the chassis.

Have great day.

Rod

Probably the most neglected maintenance item is the AIR DRYER.

Second would be coolant. And diesel need a "low silicate for diesels with added SCA" coolant or one of the new-generation OAT-based coolants that do not require SCA.

I do not have air brakes (weird model) I do miss them, my previous coach had them.

Yes the coolant, I am having that check next week. I also changed the engine air filter.

Thank you again, Rod

You still may have an air dryer-- do you have an air suspension?

Our coach (Alpine) has hydraulic brakes (4 wheel 4 piston/fixed caliper disk brakes) but has air suspension and DOES have an air dryer.

Sorry for been so late in responding, went camping last week. No I do not have an air suspension.

One more question Brett, I only have 31,000 miles on this coach the local shop that does my maintenance is recommending to pack the from wheel bearings at a cost of $508.00 (4 hrs Labor).

Do you think this maintenance is necessary with that low mileage. I can't find a recommendation on the owners manual.

Thank you again.

Yes, if you are getting ready to go on a long trip (you mention Alaska) where servicing along the way is pretty scarce, I would sure have wheel bearings repacked. This assumes they have not been repacked in the 10 years the chassis has been on the road.

Rod,

Might I suggest that you carry several extra fuel filter. One of each. On a long extended trip into the wilderness you never know if you can relay on the fuel you purchase.

Have a great trip,

Herman