Sign in to follow this  
steve and karen

Crack In Shower Wall

Hi everyone,

We have a 2006 Fleetwood Excursion 39v and love it. We have 2 cracks in the shower walls that seem to be PVC plastic.

I contacted Fleetwood and they called the manufacture of the shower that said they do not make any more.

Any ideas of how to repair or what to use.

Do you know what the substate "the material behind", the cracked plastic outer shell, is made of? There are many alternatives to replacing it, such as plastic laminate, "Formica is a brand", or if you are not a diy'er, there are many companies that can give you many ideas. One that comes to mind is Rebath, or other companies that do bathtub and shower walls. Look at the box stores, Lowes, Homedepot, etc., at the shower assemblies that they offer. Measure the existing and have measurements handy while looking. Also if it is pvc, the cement made for pvc actually dissolves the material and will fuse pvc together, making it very workable for repairs. Test the material with some of the cement in an area that is concealed, by cleaning with solvent, and cut a small piece of pvc pipe and try just to see if the material is workable, if so, you can be creative making repairs. Good luck, and welcome to the forum, Kay

Steve and Karen,

Also Welcome to the Forum;

Google PVC welding. I know that there are methods for welding plastics and there may be a way to do PVC. On plastic welding they use a system similar to a hot glue gun. They use Nitrogen Gas in a gun that heats the plastic with the heated Nitrogen and a filler rod that is inserted through the gun.

Maybe you can find a way to repair the walls.

One more thing, if you decide to adhere Formica over the cracks, drill a small hole at each end of the crack. this will keep the crack from continuing to crack.

Herman

I would not recommend using "Formica" over plastic, or pvc, only as a replacement for the panels if the substrate is acceptable. But pvc over pcv, or plastic over plastic.

If the material is pvc, the pvc glue will work very well, as it actually fuses the material together, (same as welding).

A temporary fix might be water proof tape. In the electrical section of Home Depot you should be able to find Scotch Brand Electricians Tape. It is black, thick, and stretchable. Waterproof and removable when you go for permanent fix. Comes in a box for around $10 a roll. I carry it in our coach. Might help in the short run.