BettyH42

Water Leak Tracing?

This may not be the best forum for this, but none of the established forums seem to cover our situation. Maybe there should be a "General" or a "Catch All" category. We have developed a water Leak that escaped our notice until our 'Kwikee' brand retractable step started feeling 'spongy'. Turns out that the leak weakened the wood floor and a portion of the sidewall of our motorhome entryway in front of the curbside Front tire so much that I had to replace/rebuild The entryway. I thought that the water gained entry around a poorly sealed electrical compartment containing lighting and the step switches and the front tire had thrown water up into that area. Recent rains proved that not to be case as we have found water on the new floor and the motorhome has not moved. Just finished remounting the 'Kwikee' Step and found water on floor and edge of the sidewall carpeting that touched motorhome sidewall wet up about to about the main floor level. I have goon around the rig, checking for caulking problems, etc. Covered some suspect areas with painters tape that is still tightly sealed, still getting leaks after a rain. Looking for pointers, tips,and any suggestions on tracing water leaks in motorhome. Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

I don't have any suggestions for you, but be patient. Things will liven up after a bit. I am sure that help will be on the way. Post your coach builder, model, and year.

I checked the Internet for a picture of your model coach, found a 2002 model. The picture that I found shows a window just behind the entrance door.

That window would my prime suspect, as these type windows can leak. On the outside, look downward at the top of the metal frame and check it closely, you may see some separation between the frame and the fiberglass, if you do not I would still

use a caulking gun with a silicone sealant and run a nice bead of the sealant all the way around that metal frame.

Your coach is approaching the age that these things happen to.

Not a bad idea to do this to all the windows, just a little insurance.

Hope this helps,

Kay

I am going to check for possible water damage getting started on ours. We have the same window location. It was garaged by the previous owner, but I will take al look to be safe. It has been out for over a year now, but the weather stripping seems to drying out. Looks to be a pain to replace $$$ wise.